News Gigabyte's RTX 4090 Gaming OC Available at $1,709

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
The 4090 is a hard card to find right now. This is available so buy it if you’re in the market for the best card out right now, buy it. Ignore the whiners, they’re stupid.
Hard card to find because there is very strong demand, or simply Nvidia limiting stocks to give you a sense that they are flying off the shelves, so as to entice you to go out and grab one quickly?

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
This is the penalty for choosing to play at 4K.
This is an endless chase. Essentially what they want you to do is to go get the latest and greatest 4K monitor with 240 Hz refresh. Then you will think, hey, I need a better GPU to "fully utilized" the refresh rate. Otherwise, it is the other way round where people buy a good GPU only to find that they monitor is limiting them. So they go out to get the latest and greatest 4K monitor, soon to be 8K I suppose. So people will get stuck in this endless chase just for momentary happiness.

Reactions: Why_Me

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
I've been playing first person shooter games (mouse & keyboard) for 23+ years now. I can't imagine getting less than 100 FPS.
I feel high FPS and refresh rate works best with fast moving games, particularly FPS. So it really depends on the genre in my opinion. Higher is nice to have because the game is also more responsive, but I guess it boils down to individual preference. For me, I feel 60 FPS on consoles is acceptable, but I don't play FPS now.

Reactions: Why_Me

Alan Alan

Prominent
Aug 9, 2022
Hard card to find because there is very strong demand, or simply Nvidia limiting stocks to give you a sense that they are flying off the shelves, so as to entice you to go out and grab one quickly?
Lol, it does sound like cheap sales tactics. No piece of electronics is worth that kind of money. Estimated cost to manufacturer is 60 to 75 dollars. It's nothing special, just a different chipset to perform a different function. Yet, it's still chemistry. The chips are made like any other chip. It's all transistors, no fabricated thin film resistors or anything special. Prove me wrong, but if you can't, just don't buy it until they lower the price. Do they still use these for bitcoin or is that all over. I don't know.

True and that is precisely why I now do my 4K gaming on my XBOX Series X and PS5. They can easily do 60FPS in 4K with some up-scaling trade-offs that are really hard to tell a PC game from a current console game. The difference between MSFS 2020 running on my RTX 3080 (ULTRA 4K) and XBOX Series X are so close to each other that I honestly can't tell them apart and the Series X version is very smooth.

MSFS may be an exception. I also run a 3080 and Series X and in all the games I play the visual differences are very significant. I’m not knocking the Series X given it’s price but it’s nowhere near PC game quality in anything I have tried.

umeng2002_2

Commendable
Jan 10, 2022
This day and age, with the pandemic essentially over; I wouldn't be surprised if these things are practically built to order. The prices are never coming down since there will never be "too much" stock.

I think this might be the new game nVidia and AMD are going to play. Just barely ship enough units to meet demand, what ever that demand is.