Gigabyte's Thin Ultramax P35X Gaming Notebook Earns Marks For Size, Storage, and Power

Status
Not open for further replies.

groundhogdaze

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2009
Gigabyte may be on a roll. Their GTX 970 ITX is an amazing compact powerhouse. I just hope this laptop doesn't have heat and noise issues and the screen is better than average - they got the resolution(s) right at least. I hope the laptop looks better in real life as well. While it does not look bad, it may be a little too understated for the monstrous specs it houses.

TheSilverSky

Reputable
Jul 16, 2014
They went all the way adding GTX980 and forgot to include PCIe SSD instead of mSATA ... some times you never understand why ...
The combination of dual heatsinks/fans, removeable DVD or Blu-ray Drive, HDD, and battery does not leave enough room for the longer high capacity M.2 SSDs, this picture will show you why http://i59.tinypic.com/2eary84.jpg Those mSATA drives are just short enough to fit, if they were M.2 drives you might get 256GB drives in their at max while the mSATA lets you get 1TB drives (I've got a Samsung Evo 1TB mSATA in my P25W v2 from earlier this year).

If they had made it any deeper or wider this thing would have become a 17" laptop the size of the GS70, that or they go the GS60 route and ditch the ODD.

groundhogdaze

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2009

On a positive note, mSATA SSD drives are much cheaper now and more widely available -- I have no idea how much PCIe version costs but I'm guessing a pretty penny more than mSATA.

Personally I'd rather sacrifice the optical drive and one of the HD bays for a larger battery. How many people really use the optical bay anymore? Or enough to need it all the time and not just an external USB drive for that rare occasion? They might as well waste space with a floppy drive, dial up modem, COM and Parallel ports as well.

Valantar

Honorable
Nov 21, 2014
With not just one, but two(!) 15mm 2tb drives, in addition to an optical drive (why?) the battery in this thing must be microscopic. The drives are too thick to stack inside a chassis that thin. Even with a tiny battery I worry that the heatsinks might be as miniscule as in the picture linked by The Silver Sky (which only has one hdd), which is seriously worrisome considering the GPU especially. These are some poor design decisions...

Christopher1

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
They went all the way adding GTX980 and forgot to include PCIe SSD instead of mSATA ... some times you never understand why ...
The combination of dual heatsinks/fans, removeable DVD or Blu-ray Drive, HDD, and battery does not leave enough room for the longer high capacity M.2 SSDs, this picture will show you why http://i59.tinypic.com/2eary84.jpg Those mSATA drives are just short enough to fit, if they were M.2 drives you might get 256GB drives in their at max while the mSATA lets you get 1TB drives (I've got a Samsung Evo 1TB mSATA in my P25W v2 from earlier this year).

If they had made it any deeper or wider this thing would have become a 17" laptop the size of the GS70, that or they go the GS60 route and ditch the ODD.
Ditching the ODD is an option in the real world. I personally have not used my ODD in my gaming class laptop for years now.
In my bargain basement Acer laptop (which surprisingly meets or beats my gaming class laptop on almost all metrics)? It does not even have one and I'm fine with that.
ODD's are going to go the way of the dodo soon with streaming video and torrentable video.

Samer1970

Admirable
BANNED

This is an expensive GTX980M notebook , a high end . 50$ more for PCIe SSD wont make big difference at all .

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS