Gigabyte's USB 3.0 Contest is Open to the World

Status
Not open for further replies.

xsamitt

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2007
Finally a fair contest open to all.
I would be very thankful if I were to have a this board.
So lets just say that USB 3.0 would bring me years of great gaming joy.

4ILY45

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2009
[citation][nom]xsamitt[/nom] So lets just say that USB 3.0 would bring me years of great gaming joy.[/citation]

Isn't it suppose to be the motherboard?

david714

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2008
[citation][nom]redrabbit803[/nom]Its a contest. Winning free stuff is always good.However USB 3.0 is obsolete. Lightpeak will inevitably replace it along with other i/o's connectors via optitcal cable. Also it starts at 10gbps and can scale up to 100gbps unlike USB 3. From what I've read they are already shipping the chips for it this year.[/citation]
Will Lightpeak supply power?

redrabbit803

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2007
Will Lightpeak supply power?

More then likely seeing as they were using a usb interface. They will probably have two types of cables. One for just data and the other with power integrated into the wire drawing its power from the usb interface. So basically you have three or more wires. one optical for data and two or more copper for power. This results in the ability for longer cables with less
electronic noise.
http://techresearch.intel.com/articles/None/1813.htm

randomizer

Champion
[citation][nom]micky_lund[/nom]slightly off topic, but why doesn't Tom's make an australasian/ANZ version of the website? is it too hard to run, or what?[/citation]
We've had a thread in the forum asking for one since April 2008 :lol: Ok, so it was asking for a mirror on page 1...

Hmm, i could go with some USB3.0 goodness. If only it was an X58 board though.

drksilenc

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2009
[citation][nom]redrabbit803[/nom]Its a contest. Winning free stuff is always good.However USB 3.0 is obsolete. Lightpeak will inevitably replace it along with other i/o's connectors via optitcal cable. Also it starts at 10gbps and can scale up to 100gbps unlike USB 3. From what I've read they are already shipping the chips for it this year.[/citation]
one tiny problem with that is this is USB as in 3/4 of all connectors for pc on the market... lightpeak may be fast but it will prbly be on the same level as esata as far as adoption. the only reason why usb is so popular is they have held the same pin connectors and you can plug a usb 1.0 device into a usb 3.0 connector and it still works

r0x0r

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
[citation][nom]drksilenc[/nom]one tiny problem with that is this is USB as in 3/4 of all connectors for pc on the market... lightpeak may be fast but it will prbly be on the same level as esata as far as adoption. the only reason why usb is so popular is they have held the same pin connectors and you can plug a usb 1.0 device into a usb 3.0 connector and it still works[/citation]

Not to mention the name. USB: it's quick, catchy and familiar; no one cares what it means anyway (try selling an "Advanced Micro Devices Central Processing Unit). Anyone here in marketing? How important is a product name in relation to the product itself?

Also, no-one besides tech buffs even know what Lightpeak is.

Just as an aside, try saying "Lightpeak" 5 times quickly (like a pick...). Now say "USB" and notice how it rolls off he tongue so much easier.

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
[citation][nom]r0x0r[/nom]try saying "Lightpeak" 5 times quickly (like a pick...). Now say "USB" and notice how it rolls off he tongue so much easier.[/citation]
fun!
try saying "red leather, yellow leather" five times :)

While i do agree with your comments it would be ideal of lightpeak took off as we will have to say goodby to USB eventually.

LaughALot

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
USB will be around for many more years. Intel demo'ed USB in 94 or 95. But it still took four or five years for USB to really take off.

Question: Why is it almost every motherboard being manufactured today has at least one PS2 connector? And why do still see VGA connectors on new products?

USB will hang around because copper can provide power, fiber cannot.

USB3 will be successful because it can support legacy devices. Only the geek (fearing their dick is not big enough) will replace all their USB devices with fiber. Most people will save their money, they'll wait until they buy a new computer with fiber support, before buying a fiber device.

I'm not damning fiber, hell I probably won't buy another television until I can buy one that supports fiber. But outside of the geek and the power user change is sloooowwwww.

Ona Island Ina Sea

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2010
[citation][nom]__-_-_-__[/nom]what you mean by "special state or province"?[/citation]
That would be akin to maintaining body temperature while naked in Manitoba outside in January.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS