Given the amount of trouble ppl on here alone go through, wouldn't you recommend ppl only buy a new PC ready and tested?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Rafael Mestdag

Reputable
Mar 25, 2014
When I say ready, I don't mean a PC by IBM or DELL or something. I mean something YOU chose to put together, BUT left it to a technician do the job and only buy the PC AFTER it's been tested in front of you and with at least a one year warranty on all components.

Be honest and tell me you wouldn't recommend this to a good friend instead of buying parts separate and then putting them together by himself.

Solution
Everyone likes to bash them, but I had an old ultra 650 watt lsp series. 38 amps on a single 12 volt rail. Had it probably 7 years or so. Have it to a friend recently who is wanting to get into PC gaming but has almost 0 budget. A friend and I are whipping him together an old cooler master scout case, my old gigabyte 970 board, and a 960t zosma from way back when. Might be setting him up with a 7950 to. Old stuff but not bad for a starting rig. We may upgrade PSU, but my other friend has an old noctua cooler for that 960t, think we are going to attempt core unlock and overclocking.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The 7950 is a decent card, generally needs @500w psu. That Ultra 650 might be pushing it though, so it'll not need an upgrade as much as a replacement. It's an Ultra, so wasn't made with the highest quality parts internally. It's been used, probably seen some hard days, for at least 7 years. It's going to be suffering from capacitor degradation, after 7 years of usage, I'd guess you'd be looking at closer to 550-575w topped. So just be careful with it and any heavy OC or it'll fail, and hard. (the Ultras didn't have the greatest protection circuitry)

The hardest use it saw was with I think an overclocked FX 8120 and a 7850 I had for a while. It's just enough to get the guy started on PC gaming. He right now has some how system someone gave him with an old dual core Pentium and a GeForce gt 610.

The 7950 is my current card, but buying a slightly used RX 480 8gb card from another friend for 250. I think it's the Sapphire nitro edition, and had more than a year of warranty from microcenter left.