Question GL553VE Low GPU usage

May 1, 2019
Hello everyone, I've recently bought GTA 5 because I saw that it was running smoothly on other laptops with the same specs as mine. I downloaded it and played it; only to be disappointed. I never get those frames that I saw no matter the settings (I tried the lowest setting, with the lowest resolution, still no difference) so I tried monitoring it with MSI afterburner. To my surprise, the GPU usage was very low and there were only 2 cores that were going above 70%. Whenever the GPU usage goes high, my framerates will also gain a few and vice versa. I tried this with my other games (Dota 2, CS:GO) and the GPU usage was also low but I was not surprised because those games are not demanding GPU wise. I hope you can help me fix this problem. If it were CPU bottleneck, what can I do to improve it?
I play plugged in.

I have tried:
• Clean install of Graphics Card
• Updating basically everyting (BIOS, Audio Drivers, Display Drivers, etc.)
• Disabled HPET
• Tweaked NVIDIA Control Panel (Prefer Maximum Performance, Single Display Mode)
• Clean install of Windows 10
• Reinstalled the game
• Undervolted the CPU and disabled Turbo
• Power Settings on High Performance
• Diabled VSync in game and forced it in NVIDIA
• Disabled all anti-aliasing setting

Laptop Specs:
ASUS ROG GL553VE
Intel Core i7-7700HQ
NVIDIA GTX 1050 Ti
16GB DDR4 RAM
128GB SSD + 1000GB HDD

Thanks!

Last edited:
Your system should definitely be able to run it according to sources.

It sounds like your GPU is being underutilized. I'd try a clean install of the driver (download latest ver., select the "Custom (Advanced)" install method, and check the box for "Clean installation"). When/if you do this, try opting out of GeForce Experience, and make sure you're getting the Game Ready Driver.

Have you also updated the Intel HD Graphics driver? If your system uses uses Optimus, that might be worth looking into.

May 1, 2019
Your system should definitely be able to run it according to sources.

It sounds like your GPU is being underutilized. I'd try a clean install of the driver (download latest ver., select the "Custom (Advanced)" install method, and check the box for "Clean installation"). When/if you do this, try opting out of GeForce Experience, and make sure you're getting the Game Ready Driver.

Have you also updated the Intel HD Graphics driver? If your system uses uses Optimus, that might be worth looking into.

Hello, I have tried the aforementioned steps and I gained 2 or 3 fps from that, but it still was not using my gpu at its extent. Any more suggestion?

May 1, 2019
@crystalmath12 Only other thing I can think of would be to try the DCH driver from NVidia (under "Windows Driver Type"): https://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

Quite a few people seem to be having utilization issues lately. I would contact Asus and/or NVidia support if you continue to run into issues with this.

Tried this but I got an error saying that the driver is not compatible with my version of windows which is odd because I run Windows 10. Anyways, I'll try reaching out to NVIDIA and ASUS. Thanks for the help.

Tried this but I got an error saying that the driver is not compatible with my version of windows which is odd because I run Windows 10. Anyways, I'll try reaching out to NVIDIA and ASUS. Thanks for the help.
DCH drivers seem to be in a bit of a transitional phase, but hopefully they make things easier down the road. Anyways, good luck, and if support can help, feel free to post back here - it might help out others. :)