Glad I don't own a Voodoo4 or 5

G

Wow, just read a FAQ about the purchase of 3dfx by NVidia.
<A HREF="http://www.nvidia.com/news.nsf/121500faq.html" target="_new">http://www.nvidia.com/news.nsf/121500faq.html</A>
NVidia is just buying the name and technology. They have no plans to support the existing 3dfx cards now on the market. I do own a VooDoo3 3000 AGP, and I guess it will be going the way of my HiVal soundcard *don't laugh* no product support. While my V3 3000 will be obsolete by the time this deal completes, the people with VooDoo 4's and 5's are screwed. Here are some tidbits from the FAQ.

3. Why is this transaction structured as a purchase of assets rather than an outright purchase of 3dfx?
The structure of this deal allows NVIDIA to purchase certain assets that are consistent with our business model without acquiring 3dfx liabilities.

6. Are you also acquiring the board-related business?
No, the board business remains with 3dfx.

8. What will happen to 3dfx's existing product lines and retail distribution channel?
The remaining 3dfx entity is responsible for their current product lines and retail channel. It is best to check those details with 3dfx management.

10. What happens to 3dfx after the transaction is completed?
According their press release, 3dfx has a plan of dissolution and they intend to wind up their business post this transaction. Since NVIDIA is not involved in the dissolution of the 3dfx, it is best to check those details with 3dfx management.

12. What happens to the Voodoo family of products currently in retail stores? Who will support the installed base of 3dfx customers?
This deal only involves core graphics assets. The 3dfx product in the channel and installed base and customer support remain the responsibility of 3dfx. It is best to check those details with 3dfx management.

Eek!

G

as a V5 owner. I am not really to worried about driver support, the ones we got work fine and there is no dire reason to see them "fixed". Now what will hopefully happen is unoffical driver releases will become available

I woudl imagine one of the 3dfx engieers will work on improving the drivers in his basement, of course he will get the dam thing working so good, the V5 might actually outperform the GTS in everything ( can dream, but who knows )

G

I'm actually looking forward to getting a Voodoo5 5500 over the GeForce 2 GTS because it has better drivers for OpenGL, DirectX and still has Glide support (Diablo II). D2 looks bad with DirectX support. D2 has additional special effects for Glide. Plus from the reviews I've looked at (anandtech, sharkyextreme), the Voodoo5 is better for driving games (99% of all my games) while the GeForce2 is better for FPS (Quake,etc.). Not worried about driver support because their drivers are pretty stable to start out with.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts