Glitching/Twitching on first computer build!! Pleaseeeee help!!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Austinlorenzen

Honorable
Aug 7, 2013
Hey Guys, I've recently just built my first PC. Everything went as planned and has worked out well for a few weeks now. Its always had a slight twitch with the mouse (it freezes for a second every few minutes or so) it had seemed to be getting worse along the way along with the keyboard. Issues such as stuck keys which make me think its because of the wireless aspect of the mouse and keyboard. I made sure to buy top shelf product, got the $119 wireless logitech back lit keyboard and M510 mouse. I wasnt sure if it was just the wireless that was messing up or the computer itself, since this issss my first build i'm not sure what to expect.

After a few weeks of putting up with it my games are now twitching out and being weird. (dont have the best internet connection) ((in the process of upgrading my router)) but i dont believe the internet is what was causing this glitchy lag.

Again this is my first build so i'm not sure where to start to try to solve this. Anything is going to help thanks guys!

Intel i7 4770K
Gigabyte Z78X-UD5H
NVIDIA EVGA GeForce GTX 770 Classified

Solution
Without seeing it first hand, it's somewhat hard to say what it might be, but my first thought is that there may be some interference in the wireless signal for your mouse and keyboard. Are they wireless or Bluetooth? Do you have a little USB adapter that is plugged in for them to connect to? When it happens, is your system under a high load, or just idling?

Skeefers

Honorable
Aug 7, 2013
What memory are they talking about? Your video card memory and system memory are both well above 64MB. The only time I've heard a reference to dedicated memory is in regards to laptop video cards, where they typically share part of the system memory.

Austinlorenzen

Honorable
Aug 7, 2013

I assume its the video card. I had asked them and are waiting for a reply but they did tell me to and i did do a "selective start up" which still did not make the game run smoothly. I'm going to learn how to check my dedicated memory on the video card while i'm at work but i wont be able to do anything about it until later tonight when i'm off :pfff:

Austinlorenzen

Honorable
Aug 7, 2013

thats what doesnt make any sense to me... I'm not quite sure how to transfer dedicated memory... I've been trying to research it but haven't found anything helpful yet. I've also been trying to learn how to optimize windows 7 for video editing.

I'm not quite sure what to download for the motherboard, I see a bunch of different possible downloads for audio, chipset, LAN, SATA RAID/AHCI, USB 3.0. How do i know if i already have these updates already installed? some are from before i bought the motherboard.. I'm not sure what all this means. Please enlighten the young grasshopper...

Skeefers

Honorable
Aug 7, 2013
You don't transfer dedicated memory in this instance. The 4GB I'm talking about are on the video card, and are only used for processing graphics. That's all it can be used for. That said, Windows 7 will sometimes temporarily allocate some of your system memory, if it isn't being used, to graphics processing to boost what your video card has built-in.

I would suggest downloading the newest drivers for everything it shows on the list. If your driver is newer or you don't need the driver for some other reason, it should tell you and not let you install it. If it's the same version as what you already have, it will either tell you or overwrite the existing file; either way it won't hurt anything. Of course, if the downloaded version is newer than what you have installed, you want it on there in hopes that it will resolve this issue.

Austinlorenzen

Honorable
Aug 7, 2013

I went and downloaded all the files, ran and extracted them... Is there anything else that i need to do?
Do you have any recommendation for where to find out how to make more dedicated memory

Skeefers

Honorable
Aug 7, 2013
That should be all you need to do; go ahead and see if you can get the mouse to start glitching again. Hopefully it will be working correctly now.

As for adding video memory, the only way to do this is to buy a video card with more memory than the one you currently have. As yours has 4GB, you're pretty much out of luck in that department. Most cards on the market currently have 2GB, so the fact that yours has 4GB means that it's already a top-of-the-line card. You could buy a second, identical, video card and run it in an SLI/Crossfire configuration, but you would most likely also need to upgrade your power supply to support this, and it's dependent on your motherboard as well. It could be a costly upgrade if the equipment you have isn't capable of handling the second video card already. I really don't think this is a necessary step to take though, as your current video card should easily be able to handle just about anything you could want to do with your system.

Austinlorenzen

Honorable
Aug 7, 2013

The monitor was plugged into the motherboard.... so it was using the onboard graphics card from gigabyte. Now its plugged into the graphics card itself and is finally being utilized!!! problem solved! as for the gaming at least... less hiccuping in the mouse too i believe

Skeefers

Honorable
Aug 7, 2013
Guess I should have thought of the simple solution first, huh? lol Honestly, I didn't even consider onboard graphics, as I never buy motherboards that have them since I always use an add-on card. Next time I'm helping someone with a similar issue, I'll be sure to ask about this early on. This definitely explains the comment about dedicated memory though, as your onboard graphics will typically use part of the system memory for processing the graphics instead of having separate dedicated video memory.