Global Biofuel Output To Soar In Next Decade: Report

Status
Not open for further replies.

cabn12

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
F'n stupid!! Biofuels aren't the answer. It's going to bankrupt nations. Oil is about 127 a barrel now because of speculation not supply. Even Opec said that oil should be about $60 a barrel. US Senators grilling the oil execs was a sham and an embarrassment. The senators were the ones who should be getting grilled by the American people. Why are they preventing us from drilling our own oil, why are they preventing the oil companies from building more refineries and how much money are environmental groups giving you. Just as the oil execs were getting scolded for making profits our government was turning down a bill to drill in a frozen desert in Alaska.

waikano

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2008
Would be interested to know how you are coming to the conclusion that Bio-Fuels is going to Bankrupt nations? Not saying that Bio is the answer, but seems like its a knee-jerk comment. Agree with you that the Senate should have been grilled that would have been more interesting! Also, Brazil seems to be doing ok with there Bio initiative. Would like to see less money going to OPEC and staying here (US) whether it go to the Farmers or the Drillers. But to set the record have been using Bio Made in Alabama in all my Diesel Vehicles (6.2L, 6.5L, & TDI) for over 2 years.

cabn12

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]Waikano[/nom]Would be interested to know how you are coming to the conclusion that Bio-Fuels is going to Bankrupt nations? Not saying that Bio is the answer, but seems like its a knee-jerk comment. Agree with you that the Senate should have been grilled that would have been more interesting! Also, Brazil seems to be doing ok with there Bio initiative. Would like to see less money going to OPEC and staying here (US) whether it go to the Farmers or the Drillers. But to set the record have been using Bio Made in Alabama in all my Diesel Vehicles (6.2L, 6.5L, & TDI) for over 2 years.[/citation]

Perhaps "It's going to bankrupt nations" was a little dramatic but if you were a farmer why would you grow anything but corn. Already were seeing the price of feed for cattle any wheat products rise dramatically and not all because of the price of diesel and that is accounting for only 2% of our corn going to biofuel. So that effects pretty much our entire food supply. It will hurt economies, not bankrupt them, but will hurt them. It's just not worth it. Biofuels, I see as a "knee-jerk" reaction to a problem that doesn't exist. We should explore alternative fuels but in the mean time lets drill our own oil and tell the third world psychos to stick their oil up their ass.
As far as Brazil goes. They have roughly half of our population (in 2000 it was 169 million) the US has 143,781,202 CARS! Even if we gave all of the corn grown in the US to biofuel it would account for only 10% of our needs.

christian summer

Distinguished
May 8, 2008
corn based ethanol is a total sham...it requires more total energy to get the ethanol to market then it does just burning fossil fuels...and yet corn farmer sill receive a large ethanol subsidy because the government is more concerned about appearing to care about being green then the reality of having their back pockets padded by the oil industries which are raking in huge profits...thanks tg for encouraging these clowns...

how bout a little research before posting a story like this???

http://feinstein.senate.gov/05speeches/ethanol-oped.htm
http://www.slate.com/id/2122961/

there is plenty of more just do a simple search...

-c

christian summer

Distinguished
May 8, 2008
not exactly sure what happened to my links...but at least i wasnt redirected to an error page after posting (which happens here 9/10 times)...

-c

Boater1274

Distinguished
May 30, 2008
Being a boater, ethanol is the wors thing on the planet!
For those of us with fiberglass fuel tanks, it eats away at the epoxy, gells it, and it gets into the fuel lines and clogs them. Also ethanol, goes "bad" faster the gasoline ( the gas in the ethanol sinks to the bottom of the tank). Plus Ethanol has a lower BTU than gasoline. Which means decreased fuel economy, therfore we need more fuel to get where we'er going. As far as I'm concerned, ethanol should go and biodiesel should defenetly stay.

waikano

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2008
[citation][nom]cabn12[/nom]We should explore alternative fuels but in the mean time lets drill our own oil and tell the third world psychos to
stick their oil up their ass. [/citation]

I am ok with this as long as what we drill stays here. (greedy I know)

OK, so we can agree that Ethanol is crap. When I think of Bio I think of Diesel since that is what I drive and since there are more feedstocks than corn that can be made to use Bio-Diesel. Corn being one of the worst since the return on it is bad compared to say Soy. What I get excited about when it comes to B100 (100% BioDiesel) or any blend for that matter is new emerging techs with Algae. Either way I dont think that using Bio is a knee-jerk reaction since Dr Rudolph Diesel originally ran his invention on Peanut Oil, but what might be considered knee-jerk is how Congress reacts to everything as you mentioned, nothing but short sighted planning when you consider that ~30 years ago we had around 350 refineries and now we have like 135?!?!? Yet our demand has gone up every year. But lets consider one other thing the price of Diesel (the back bone of our country runs on this stuff) for the first time that I am aware of is Higher than Gasoline which makes me think there is more to the high cost of food then using crops to make fuel. For the record I would not consider myself a Greenie Treehugging Wacko, but an American Patriot who is tired of the Feds sending our money to other countries, if I can I buy American, my fuel is one of them!

Boater1274

Distinguished
May 30, 2008
I agree with Waikano. Also Henry Ford designed the Model-T to run on ethanol, but at the time ethanol was exspensive, and rare, while oil was cheap and plentiful. The refineries where burning off gasoline to make room for kerosene. My how we have gone full circle. Also notice with the ridiculous prices of diesel, the theft of used cooking oil from resturants has incerased. Resturants will give that stuff awawy for free or very, very cheap. Intill they realize that can sell the stuff for $2 a gallon which is still cheap. If diesel was a little cheaper my boat and car would be diesel. By the way Marine diesel is about $5.50 a gallon. So you car owners don't have it so bad.

cabn12

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]Waikano[/nom]I am ok with this as long as what we drill stays here. (greedy I know)OK, so we can agree that Ethanol is crap. When I think of Bio I think of Diesel since that is what I drive and since there are more feedstocks than corn that can be made to use Bio-Diesel. Corn being one of the worst since the return on it is bad compared to say Soy. What I get excited about when it comes to B100 (100% BioDiesel) or any blend for that matter is new emerging techs with Algae. Either way I dont think that using Bio is a knee-jerk reaction since Dr Rudolph Diesel originally ran his invention on Peanut Oil, but what might be considered knee-jerk is how Congress reacts to everything as you mentioned, nothing but short sighted planning when you consider that ~30 years ago we had around 350 refineries and now we have like 135?!?!? Yet our demand has gone up every year. But lets consider one other thing the price of Diesel (the back bone of our country runs on this stuff) for the first time that I am aware of is Higher than Gasoline which makes me think there is more to the high cost of food then using crops to make fuel. For the record I would not consider myself a Greenie Treehugging Wacko, but an American Patriot who is tired of the Feds sending our money to other countries, if I can I buy American, my fuel is one of them! [/citation]

I think you and I have a very similar philosophy. I was only referring to corn based ethanol not the fryalator diesel, which is very cool as long as your friends with a McDonald s franchise owner; ) I totally agree with you that if we do drill our own we keep it here. I personally think we should be focusing on hydrogen fuel cell. I think any thing grown shouldn't go in our gas tanks that would only increase food prices and that would have a cascading effect on our economy.

Status
Not open for further replies.