GlobalFoundries Builds 565,000 Square Foot R&D Fab

Status
Not open for further replies.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
TDC will create about 500 new jobs. GlobalFoundries also confirmed that it will be hiring 500 additional employees for its other manufacturing facilities in Malta.

Note for high school dropouts: Most of you aren't going to have a chance at the job...

bennaye

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2011
[citation][nom]A Bad Day[/nom]Note for high school dropouts: Most of you aren't going to have a chance at the job...[/citation]

Thanks captain.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
[citation][nom]A Bad Day[/nom]Note for high school dropouts: Most of you aren't going to have a chance at the job...[/citation]

Most, but there are exceptions. (for those who carried out further direct study on their chosen profession)
I wonder if AMD will eventually come back to GF or something..

uglynerdman

Honorable
Mar 8, 2012
Jobs in "Malta" sorry aint the most lucrative place to go for engineers, but im shure they will go because of getting paid in Euros and the lower pay from Murika. I wish Global foundries luck. Theyre a privately held company a spin off amd and have no reason to have massive changes constantly or getting sacked by corporate vips like amd is. Still itd be nice to see an ipo from them, i mean theyre going into the mobile chip biz, thats gotta yield some dividends.

blackjackedy

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2010
[citation][nom]uglynerdman[/nom]Jobs in "Malta" sorry aint the most lucrative place to go for engineers, but im shure they will go because of getting paid in Euros[/citation]
It says Malta, New York in the sub-heading

G

Malta is a town in Saratoga County, New York, United States.

G

"As GlobalFoundries is trying to attract business to manufacture ARM-based processors,"

Man, they're going to be pissed when low-power x86 parts from Intel end the ARM craze, right about the same time when this new fab opens.

I'm starting to think that AMD loaded GF with their worst management before spinning them off.

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]uglynerdman[/nom] *Drivel* [/citation]

So how does it feel to look like an massive idiot just because you couldn't read the headline?

Not sure where I came across this ...
Semi-conductor-sales_20121107fig02_zps10022cb2.jpg

Thanks to whoever it was :hello:

I don't know where GlobalFoundries fits in the big picture, but they have 190,000 300mm wafers/month 28/32nm-45nm and 189,000 200mm wafers/month, essentially 0.13-micron. That seems like quite a bit, but TSMC goes 650k starts/month. They look to be able to readily expand sales with available capacity for some interesting stuff (SOI and/or Bulk).

And, the UAE simply is not going away. They've got the capital to invest. With infrastructure in place, and expanded education and training, they're eventually going big in Abu Dhabi with a new foundry. Probably a bit more exoctic than Malta with nicer golf courses. AMD was likely a big chunk of previous R&D, too, so GlobalFoundries had to step it up.

Again .... Thanks to ATIC for investing in America. Youse New Yawkahs make us proud :D

G

Why would ANY business build a new major facility in New York or Kalifornia or any other high-tax state???

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS