News GlobalFoundries Criticizes German Subsidies to Rival TSMC

Status
Not open for further replies.

magnum29

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2008
Completely agree. Why does the largest contract manufacturer, with the most advanced process node, need more subsidies? Given the capital intensive nature of the industry, directing more money towards the most successful player is illogical and anti-competitive, especially since they won't even be producing anything that a smaller player couldn't also produce.

Reactions: ivan_vy and gg83

dk382

Commendable
Aug 31, 2021
I'm against government subsidies this large to corporations in general, but it's extra stupid when it goes to the biggest corporation in the industry while the smaller players are left out. It's not even going toward a leading-edge node, but instead it'll be used to produce a class of product several smaller players are more than capable of producing. I'd be seriously mad if I were German. Does one of the world's richest corporations really need the subsidies?

gg83

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2015
Completely agree. Why does the largest contract manufacturer, with the most advanced process node, need more subsidies? Given the capital intensive nature of the industry, directing more money towards the most successful player is illogical and anti-competitive, especially since they won't even be producing anything that a smaller player couldn't also produce.
Very good point. It would be different if TSMC were building a 2nm fab. Thanks for pointing that out.

Status
Not open for further replies.