News GlobalFoundries gets 1.5 billion from CHIPS fund, $600 million from NY state

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidLejdar

Prominent
Sep 11, 2022
Cool. Maybe it will help to develop a system, which ensures that doors on planes "Made in America" have the bolts they need, huh? :)

Anyhow, NY state is also, where the Avelia Liberty trainsets are being assembled, which are expected to enter service this year, operated by Amtrak. They will replace the Acela Express, on the Northeast Corridor (between Boston and Washington D.C.).

Avelia Liberty is going to be something you haven't seen in the U.S. yet, reaching speed of over 200 mph - with 3-phase AC induction motors, and a total power output of 7,000 kW (9,400 hp). The trains of the projects "Texas High-Speed Train" and "California High-Speed Rail" will reach similar speeds, and thank to new tracks likely over greater distance. But that will take a while apparently.

Talking about which, do you think that the "Buy America Act" of 1982 had a role in the U.S. railsystem being somewhat underdeveloped? I mean, does it inhibit growth, when first before one can build i.e. high-speed rail, that entire supply chains are needed to be had in the U.S. for every part needed? Wouldn't it have helped, to simply acquire at least a starter set e.g. from Europe, as well then some parts from already paid for factories?

Similarly I wonder about the "Build America Buy America Act" of 2021. I mean, aside from the question about why at least Latin America isn't allowed to help by providing some export to the U.S., is it going to drag things, when there is a need for things, which don't exactly need a factory on every continent, while such factory can easily cost into billions?

In example, here I am in Europe with a "next-gen" construction material, which involves quite some facilities to be involved in the production thereof. Setup of production chain costs $10bn, and average revenue is expected to hit $1bn per year. And eventually setting up a factory in the U.S. is not a problem as such, but the construction of factories and fine-tuning and approval can easily take years. And, does it really help the U.S. when this construction material isn't allowed to be used for years, simply due some economic policy?

gg83

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2015
Cool. Maybe it will help to develop a system, which ensures that doors on planes "Made in America" have the bolts they need, huh? :)

Anyhow, NY state is also, where the Avelia Liberty trainsets are being assembled, which are expected to enter service this year, operated by Amtrak. They will replace the Acela Express, on the Northeast Corridor (between Boston and Washington D.C.).

Avelia Liberty is going to be something you haven't seen in the U.S. yet, reaching speed of over 200 mph - with 3-phase AC induction motors, and a total power output of 7,000 kW (9,400 hp). The trains of the projects "Texas High-Speed Train" and "California High-Speed Rail" will reach similar speeds, and thank to new tracks likely over greater distance. But that will take a while apparently.

Talking about which, do you think that the "Buy America Act" of 1982 had a role in the U.S. railsystem being somewhat underdeveloped? I mean, does it inhibit growth, when first before one can build i.e. high-speed rail, that entire supply chains are needed to be had in the U.S. for every part needed? Wouldn't it have helped, to simply acquire at least a starter set e.g. from Europe, as well then some parts from already paid for factories?

Similarly I wonder about the "Build America Buy America Act" of 2021. I mean, aside from the question about why at least Latin America isn't allowed to help by providing some export to the U.S., is it going to drag things, when there is a need for things, which don't exactly need a factory on every continent, while such factory can easily cost into billions?

In example, here I am in Europe with a "next-gen" construction material, which involves quite some facilities to be involved in the production thereof. Setup of production chain costs $10bn, and average revenue is expected to hit $1bn per year. And eventually setting up a factory in the U.S. is not a problem as such, but the construction of factories and fine-tuning and approval can easily take years. And, does it really help the U.S. when this construction material isn't allowed to be used for years, simply due some economic policy?
Trains are a little off topic here. Maybe amtrak will use GF chips? I don't see High-Speed rail working here in NY. There isn't any place to build new rails, and the existing rails are used to often to make drastic changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.