Glu Mobile Responds to GameSpy Server Support Claims

Status
Not open for further replies.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]wolley74[/nom]In other words they're greedy arses without much care for their long standing community[/citation]

You fail to pay for a service, you don't deserve to get service. That's fairly simple, no?

Abion47

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2012
Ah, this explains a lot. It makes sense, then, why these games no longer work. If I don't pay my power bill for months, I have absolutely no room to complain if one day my power suddenly gets shut off.

Hell, Glu already showed how much they want gamers to be able to use GameSpy by allowing the servers to stay on as long as they did, but at the end of the day, devotion and community doesn't pay the bills.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
And if you try, you get harassed by debt collectors because you're behind on every single bill.

And there's reason why the debt collection industry has the highest turnover rate, or at least one of the highest. Because it sucks for both the debt-loaded people, and the debt collectors.

And if all else fails, then the bank sues your rear end and takes all of your property except for some of your clothing and personal belongings.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]hasten[/nom]In other words you are part of this new generation that thinks they are deserving of what they have not earned.You don't pay for the service you don't get the service. Grow up. How sad our future generations are.[/citation]

I know some people who can't balance their checkbooks.

I also know one family member that is missing about $300 from her bank account because of of a paycheck issue. The employer's records showed that the $300 worth of paychecks were cashed, but the bank record showed that no such checks were cashed.

And such person had threw away his/her paychecks shortly after receiving them, before noticing the discrepancy in the bank record.

It's unlikely that someone else cashed the checks because the backside usually have a restricted endorsement stating who has the permission to deposit the check.

annymmo

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
Gamespy slowed down my computer when I tried to use it.
It crashed and worked slow as molasses.

GLU has been a bit dumb trying to use online multiplayer as leverage to people (publishers management) who do not care.

What kind of dumbass developers think outsourcing online multiplayer is a good idea? Seriously, this is the kind of thing that you can know on forehand. We have now even fully decentralized ways to do service discovery, might wanna look into them (magnet links).

They could have supported an open protocol for discovery, something that could be used with many things e.g. Xfire.

Dumbass consumers that demand company servers for free. You can't have this without paying because it costs money. Guess what people, you're parasiting for no gain, demanding that crap that has a low lifetime built in.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
[citation][nom]annymmo[/nom]Dumbass consumers that demand company servers for free. You can't have this without paying because it costs money. Guess what people, you're parasiting for no gain, demanding that crap that has a low lifetime built in.[/citation]

I think you're extremely wrong. The consumers are not at fault here and certainly are not the parasites. The consumers paid for the games and so already paid for that service to be provided to them. It's sort of sickening that you would twist it in the end to slander the consumer base. With Glu's statement it becomes clear that the issue was with the publishers/developers.

What you're saying would be as if a tenant paid the landlord rent but the landlord failed to pay property tax and thus the land was taken away by the government with the residents displaced. Your placing the blame on the tenant and acting like it was a unreasonable sense of entitlement
despite the tenant doing their part. This line of thinking is not only flawed but it's quite evil.

twelch82

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011
It seems like the compromise here would be to allow the end users to pay GameSpy directly for continued multiplayer support for those games. If they are big enough fans, then they would be willing to pony up the cash and continue playing. If it's not worth it, then the multiplayer support probably deserved to end.

reviewer888

Honorable
Sep 16, 2012
Does anyone even play these games???
What the hell is this?!?! "Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2, Microsoft Flight Simulator X, Swat 4, Sniper Elite, Hidden and Dangerous 2". No wonder they don't want to pay for those games...No one is even on the servers! Why pay? LOL
If these were actual games that people played this would be a much BIGGER story.
I do agree don't pay, Service DOWN. But wow that line up of games blow big time.

Status
Not open for further replies.