[SOLVED] Gluing a Lid

spinningstill

Honorable
Jan 15, 2018
Has anyone been able to glue a lid? I have a Samsung laptop that has been working great for years but the top of the lid is cracking. Would epoxy work on it? Read briefly its generally ABS plastic and not a standard perhaps plastic. Any input?

Solution
Where on the lid is the crack?

Super Glues and epoxies can be hard to work with plus they can make quite a mess.

And many plastics are not suitable for gluing. Matching plastic to glue is problematic. Manufacturers who use plastic in products do not want those items to be glue-able /repairable. Will not go into that TLDR rant....

However, just for the record as a reference:

https://besttoolexpert.com/glue-for-plastic/

There are other similar links to be found.

What you might find more viable is the Crystal Clear Gorilla Tape.

It is becoming my "go to" choice for repairs such as cracks.

However, you must be careful as the clear tape does capture and show fingerprints on the sticky side.

Ralston18

Titan
Where on the lid is the crack?

Super Glues and epoxies can be hard to work with plus they can make quite a mess.

And many plastics are not suitable for gluing. Matching plastic to glue is problematic. Manufacturers who use plastic in products do not want those items to be glue-able /repairable. Will not go into that TLDR rant....

However, just for the record as a reference:

https://besttoolexpert.com/glue-for-plastic/

There are other similar links to be found.

What you might find more viable is the Crystal Clear Gorilla Tape.

It is becoming my "go to" choice for repairs such as cracks.

However, you must be careful as the clear tape does capture and show fingerprints on the sticky side.

Solution

spinningstill

Honorable
Jan 15, 2018
Cool thank you. It's cracked on the corners, about an inch in from each of the hinges. Parallel with the edge longways. I'll more than likely just use the tape you mention. Thought of also trying to find a new lid but the cost is probably not worth it.

Grace and peace.