Gmail Becomes World's Top Email Service

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kaisellgren

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2007
While I (and others here) love the single-sign-on surrounding Gmail and other Google sites/services, I really hope Mozilla's Persona Single Sign On idea takes foot because it would unify the experience around the entire Internet despite of which company is behind some particular website. I just want to log in once, and be connected to every site whether that's Youtube or Tom's.

mrmaia

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2011
Until GMail provides unlimited mailbox storage, I'm sticking with Yahoo.

And what's more, I don't want Google to link everything I do on their services to my email address. Linking to my IP is already s***ty enough.

DragFire24

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2008
I returned to using a little more of Gmail just beacuse of my android OS smartphone. Other than that I must say that Outlook (as in the new www.outlook.com) is superior in practically anything. I am not a Microsoft fanboy nor a Google fanboy and cannot understand how Google Gmail is getting so much attention when Microsoft Outlook is better, I think it is just because for an android phone you need a google account; ie: Gmail/Youtube account.

Some here are saying about the system that Google uses in never deleting anything, in outlook I never deleted anything. The best thing about outlook compared to gmail is the forward/reply system, when using gmail the emails get cluttered and a pain to read old replys and such, in outlook on the other hand is a lot better.

If you don't agree with me first try it and then reply/comment. Also, Skydrive integration now gives 25GB of free storage all in one place since my email account has been there before skydrive was out. If I am missing something about Gmail please point it out...

DragFire24

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2008
[citation][nom]kronos_cornelius[/nom]I started using gmail as my default email because its model was to never delete anything. It was also the first decent spam filter. So I have my life story starting like 7 years ago. I also liked that I could switch Internet service providers not being tied to an ISP (This is a legacy bad experience from the dial-up days).I used to have Yahoo and Hotmail, but hotmail kept deleting my records every time I would go more than 2 months not using it so I stopped it years ago. I had Yahoo as well, but the GUI looked so 90's I stopped using it.Reading this news I realize I thought Gmail had being number one for at least 6 years.The whole Google ecosystem is very useful. Plus you can mix and match the services with other cloud company services, unlike other golden cage companies.[/citation]

As for my experiance using Hotmail I never had a single email deleted from my account. My account was created in around 2006 and I still have the very first emails I had at the time. Actually none from Gmail, Yahoo or Hotmail ever deleted anything from my accounts, even when they had a small limit of space.

michaelahess

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
I use all three for various purposes. Hotmail/Outlook is still my favorite from a website usability standpoint. I use gmail for all my voice, docs, etc, etc, integration, yahoo is just for random crap I don't want to get spammed on.

My Hotmail account get's almost NO spam, had it since 1 month after they launched. Just don't be stupid on the internet and spam is easy to avoid.

G

I use my hotmail account for registering on other online services and skydrive (can't sneeze at 25gb). Other than that, it's all gmail.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS