Gmail Goes Down for Halloween

Status
Not open for further replies.

wildwell

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009
No, this isn't a "It happens-move on" situation! Google didn't hold up their end of a paid service. Many business users may be able to quantify losses due to their downtime and put a price tag on it. Since Goggle didn't bother to provide the tech support their customers pay a premium for, the situation could be open for expensive lawsuits. Google is going to be very careful with regards to what they say about the indecent.

Drag0nR1der

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2007
hmm, not sensible relying on a free email (or any emial for that matter) service for work if its that urgent (it was the weekend right?). Email goes down at peoples places of work all the time, this doesn't suddenly stop a business being able to run, and if it does they need to seriously consider their OP's and perhaps pay a bigger premium for more surety of service (seriously $50 a year is piss all if you business depends on something, it's hardly a 'premium' service from a business point of view)...

30 hours - 8 of which people would have been asleep for, hopefully at least 4 hours eating, taking a dump, etc etc. There's something wrong with the world if not having email access for 18 hours over the weekend is a disaster

[citation][nom]wildwell[/nom]No, this isn't a "It happens-move on" situation! Google didn't hold up their end of a paid service. Many business users may be able to quantify losses due to their downtime and put a price tag on it. Since Goggle didn't bother to provide the tech support their customers pay a premium for, the situation could be open for expensive lawsuits. Google is going to be very careful with regards to what they say about the indecent.[/citation]

DID someone say lawsuit? lol jk.

Anyways no i didn't have a problem with my gmail.

bill gates is your daddy

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
In real life I am an email administrator for a very large corporation. Have worked at many Fortune 100 companies in the same position.
I understand the importance of email in the world. I understand the importance of it when used in a business sense. I have servers crash just to spite you and I get to hear the whining, whining, whining of the end user about the damn email being down (or running slow because it's failed over to a redundant server)

Yes there is a necessity for instant electronic distribution of files but from experience on the front line I can promise that 99% of the time the whining is not business related.

This is gmail. If your business is running on gmail then I feel sorry for you. Do not ever trust a business critical application to a business that made their money on offering low-budget free email service.

Honestly...what could possibly be in gmail that would justify someone throwing a fit if it was down? Couldn't send out your drunken Halloween photos? As I stated earlier...if contact with someone was so critical over the weekend then call them. Everyone has a stupid cell phone now so it's not like its hard to track someone down.

Nightsilver

Distinguished
May 4, 2007
$50/year is just an overly dramatic way of saying "Less than $5/month". What exactly is it about free web based email that people feel the need to "pay" for support? No, I didn't have any problems with my gmail account, and I wouldn't sweat it if I did. If I really needed my email that bad, I'd have my own exchange server.

G

It was Google's way of Trick or Treatin' you. I guess you get what you pay for (or not if your forked over $50/year to be told "yup, its down and we are working on it. You will know it is up when you can get back on."

WheelsOfConfusion

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2008
[citation][nom]bourgeoisdude[/nom]I had problems during the day accessing it, but I switched to HTML mode and it worked fine.[/citation]
Yeah, same here yesterday.
I thought it was a problem with Java on my end until I read this. Annoying, but not a big deal for me since I could get to my inbox.

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
yet more proof that cloud computing is a way off yet. when one of the biggest data management companies can't even keep email online consistently...

kri77777

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
Not all of gmail is free. Business accounts are $50 PER USER PER YEAR. I've been looking at getting my company to move over to this service. Unlike normal gmail, there are no ads and you get 25 GB per users instead of 7, which for our company is big since we send a lot of files over e-mail.

Downtime happens. It isn't about that. It is about not having open communications with the end users who are paying a pretty penny for said support.

Status
Not open for further replies.