GNOME 3.0 Next-Gen Linux Desktop Launched

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DaddyW123

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2010
I'm downloading this right now to give it a try - each version of Linux I install on my home laptop, I end up getting bored with after a month or so and go back to windows. Hopefully this will keep my interest a little longer.
I also think the linux comunity really needs to head into the tablet market. You can very easily install Android 3.0 Honeycomb onto a Nook color thanks to Deeper_Blue. Why isn't anyone making a tablet edition of linux to install on these new devices coming out. The android devices are easy to root, and it would be nice to have a third alternative to iOS and Android.

C 64

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2009
[citation][nom]pclee[/nom]Looks like tablet for the PC to me. I installed Ubuntu on my spare laptop a year ago and things a great...darn thing is blazing fast now. If the next Ubuntu upgrade has GNOME 3.0 then I'll have it.[/citation]
The coming Ubuntu 11.04 will use Gnome 3, but instead of Gnome Shell (pictured above and used in Gnome 3) Canonical is using their own Gnome Unity desktop.
I think you could still use Shell instead of Unity.

aaron88_7

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
[citation][nom]flightmare[/nom]Actually, it does! Wine runs Crysis 2 demo! Haven't tried the full release, but why wouldn't it?[/citation]
I was actually joking, those "Can it run crysis" comments never get old :D

Niva

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
[citation][nom]techguy378[/nom]It looks just like the desktop in the upcoming Ubuntu 11.04.[/citation]

No, Ubuntu built their own Gnome shell called Unity. In some ways it's similar to Gnome 3 but in other ways it's drastically different. I've a feeling that Ubuntu did this because they couldn't work well with the Gnome developers or because Gnome 3 was constantly being delayed. Funny how after Ubuntu announced Unity that Gnome 3 development spiked up and now they actually beat Unity to release.

It will be interesting to see how this pans out in the future, the fight between Gnome 3 and Unity. I definitely want to try both out before I make a judgment on what's better. Both will probably be better than the traditional Gnome on netbooks and HTPCs I've a feeling. Ok workstations I'm not so sure they went in the right direction, time to start trying these though :)

someguynamedmatt

Distinguished
[citation][nom]mlopinto2k1[/nom]Agreed. Point blank. You get what you pay for. Not everyday will be a happy day, princess! Linux sucks... stop trying to convince yourself it's equalz to Windowz.[/citation]
I love you.[citation][nom]virtualban[/nom]@ everybody who wishes to reply to mlopinto2k1Don't feed the troll please[/citation]
People that call others trolls for no reason are worse than people who actually are. You're like a little girl from the Salem witch trials, pointing fingers at people. We all have our opinions. I like mlopinto's better than yours.

randomizer

Champion

Of course it's not equal to Windows. Amongst the various operating systems available to us Windows has no equal. Everything else is better :lol:

I haven't tried GNOME Shell (GNOME 3 is the platform, it doesn't have to look like the screenshot), but I'm not sure it really suits me. I'm leaning towards tiling now anyway. I have XP at work with two monitors and I just can't efficiently use desktop real estate with the crappy stacking window manager that XP uses. Too many windows and nowhere to put them all.

kronos_cornelius

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
Hitting the top left corner with the mouse pointer on KDE shows the windows minimized like in the picture shown above. With that feature, I got rid of the task bar in KDE and put the star menu (the K menu) just to the left of the top right corner. This is useful because that area of the screen is seldom used. The area is mostly used by the title bars that have no real use. So I get more screen real state, and I got rid of the task bar-- The hideous thing where I could't ever find the window I was looking for. The only program that gives me trouble is Chrome, because chrome has no title bar.

G

Gnome 3 is horrible, same thing with Unity.. Switching to Fluxbox :) Ahhhh the wonderful world of Linux where there is choice! :)

fayzaan

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2010
[citation][nom]mlopinto2k1[/nom]What does anyone need Linux for again?[/citation]

So they can use the command line for everything to do! while we can do it with the click of a button :)

mlopinto2k1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
I would like to thank for the honest responses to my comments and vice versa... Honestly, I have used and tried to "adapt" to the linux environment with very limited success. For months I went through command line procedures and installations only to always be left feeling dissatisfied with the end result. I willingly forked over 150 bucks to get myself Windows 7 to RID myself of this painstaking process of trying to get Linux to imitate what I could do in Windows. On the contrary, I absolutely love Gnome and the 3D desktop ability and the control it offers. Definitely where Windows went wrong.

mlopinto2k1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
[citation][nom]randomizer[/nom]Of course it's not equal to Windows. Amongst the various operating systems available to us Windows has no equal. Everything else is better I haven't tried GNOME Shell (GNOME 3 is the platform, it doesn't have to look like the screenshot), but I'm not sure it really suits me. I'm leaning towards tiling now anyway. I have XP at work with two monitors and I just can't efficiently use desktop real estate with the crappy stacking window manager that XP uses. Too many windows and nowhere to put them all.[/citation] You are entitled to your opinion, this I need not need to mention but, please provide me with what is "better" in Linux than Windows. Please? I only state my opinion based on experience. When you give me your reasons, please keep them on a day to day basis of benefits... i.e.: browsing, gaming, audio production, video production, graphic arts (don't even mention GIMP) and software selection from major providers - not from home brewed concoctions. Might I add, just fork the money over and save yourself the hassle.

G

"(don't even mention GIMP)".....

Why not, examples, ways it fails compared to say photoshop, and not just comments from other sites, actual instances you have found using it.

I have been doing web design artwork for the last 10 years and the last 8 with GIMP, it works great, and is free, and i have done a lot with it from artwork for businesses, to web graphics. But then i spent weeks running through tutorials and reading about GIMP and how to use it's features from their website.

G

You can't just look at a screen shot and judge and entire desktop shell, you have to actually TRY it. Which is the nice thing about Gnome 3, you can actually go download it and TRY it. Plop it in a virtual machine using VirtualBox, Vmware, Virtual PC, whatever and play with it for five minutes. The screenshot is just one aspect of the shell, and the only time there is ever clutter. This is the application pane where you can open an app or find one on one of unlimited workspaces. It's awesome on a laptop, but not so much on a multi-display setup. It's very different from the 16 year old "Start" button format that Microsoft refuses to let go of and has left Windows 7 nothing more than a "blah" desktop experience (really, I know people who have REVERTED to VISTA for crying out loud!). If Microsoft really wanted to spice up their desktop they would take some cues from one of their existing UI's the Xbox 360 dashboard. I do agree though that Linux is traditionally a strong server OS, but Gnome 3 is a strong step towards streamlining the linux desktop experience. KDE 4.62 isn't half bad either. And Linux users MIGHT be getting what they paid for, but Windows users, ask yourselves, are you getting what YOU paid for? There is a place for Windows (like inside a Linux KVM for XP compatibility mode, thanks MS for the idea!) But really, use what you like, if you're happy with Windows, use it, but if you want something fully customizable, and of course free, give Linux a try.

Status
Not open for further replies.