Go Silent With Massive Fanless CPU Heatsinks

Status
Not open for further replies.

old_newbie

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2009
Where do we see these working out best? In HTPCs that lay horizontally--and most do.

Not quite. Most HTPC cases are slim (at least the nice ones that look like an entertainment center component). These sinks look waaaay too tall to fit in an HTPC case.

stradric

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
[citation][nom]Zirbmonkey[/nom]The only reason water cooling can achieve lower sustained temps than air is because the radiator to pump the heat outside the case has more exchanging area than the average air solution.[/citation]

And here I was thinking it had to do with the specific heat of water being 4.19 joules / g where as the specific heat of air (according to wolframalpha) is .717 joules / g. That means water can absorb almost 6 times the energy that air can. Surface area be damned!

cablechewer

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2008
My server and my main desktop are both using passive coolers. The case fans draw out enough air to keep the case cool and I have a few less moving parts that can fail as they age. I am quite happy with them. In both instance I selected processors that are 65W or less on the TDP (the passive coolers claimed they could handle 89W, but I stayed lower just to be safe).

Since my main desktop also has a 4870 in it the passive CPU cooler is more of a curiosity than anything else. Let me know when I can cool the 4870 passively and I will be really interested :D

superfatman

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2009
Looks like they have the Ultra 120 Extreme w/out fan on the bottom left picture. It's a heavy heat sink, but not as bad as the Zalman CNP 7700 I had once.

Easy solution: Get a TRUE 120 and slap a Yate Loon 120mm on it. Sadly most people don't know about Yate Loon fans as it is mainly used by watercoolers and only a very few places sell it (ie. Newegg doesn't have them). These are probably the best silent fans you can get.

Easy solution: Get a TRUE 120 and slap a Yate Loon 120mm on it. Sadly most people don't know about Yate Loon fans as it is mainly used by watercoolers and only a very few places sell it (ie. Newegg doesn't have them). These are probably the best silent fans you can get. And it will actually allow for quite a decent OC with very little noise. Your GPU fans are probably the loudest in the system.

Btw, thumb down my previous comment, it was incomplete.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]Zirbmonkey[/nom]All water does is move the heat from the CPU into the radiator. It's the radiator that does the heat removal. Water just provides the transportation.[/citation]
I agree with you Zirb. Whats the heat capacity of copper? Has to be more than water, meaning those copper heat pipes carry more heat away from the CPU than a liquid cooling system. In the end, any cooling system comes down to the efficiency of the radiator, which is why the water-cooler in this Tom's Hardware article did so poorly.

Doesn't matter how big these passive heat sinks are if there's nothing to remove the heat from the sinks and out of the case.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
Interesting, but they look expensive.

That's a lot of metal, thus being pricey.
They seem heavy, adding to shipping costs.

I'd rather have a water cooling loop traveling all the way to my fridge or freezer. Keep the pumps in a noise insulated area to cancel the noise.

Passive is nice, but a 200mm fan is more to my liking. ^_^

themike

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2007
No, you dont need to be insane to buy something like this. If you carry this heat sink in 3-4 computers and end up keeping it 10 years, it's cheap to buy yourself less annoying noise for soooooo many hours.

But, I totally agree most people should look at something in the 40-80$ range with a good low rpm fan. Like me, I've actually been carrying my Thermalright XP120 and my zalman VF700-cu for a while!

Status
Not open for further replies.