[SOLVED] GoBack and Rollback RX?

janebeth

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2013
Computers crash, motherboards fail, hard drives crash. What to do?

Norton had a program called GoBack. Now there is Rollback RX. Are these good or are they problems?

What is your experience with these and other similar programs?
Do you use or recommend a similar program?

Thanks for your input and ideas!

Solution
Macrium is EASY.

Once you go through the process once or twice, you'll see how easy it actually is.

And, create a RescueUSB. Stash this somewhere safe.
You'd use that to boot up, and recover the Image you created to a new replacement drive.

Basically....
You use Macrium to write out a Full drive Image off to some other device.
If needed, you boot from the RescueUSB, recover, and tell it where the Image is, and what drive to apply it to.

It makes no changes to the source drive(s). It saves an Image off to some other drive, with a filename of <whatever>.mrimage.

For your other situation....a dead or dying drive may be too far gone to recover from.
Backups are what you do before the Bad Thing happens.

USAFRet

Titan
A good procedure in Macrium Reflect, and you can go back to any state in the time period you've specified.

I can roll back any individual drive, or the whole system, to any day in the last 30.

janebeth

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2013
Hi Titan. I just saw a YouTube video on Macrium Reflect. It might be over my head. Norton GoBack was simple.

My HP laptop got a black screen; Staples warranty sent it out to their "service" who returned it with scratched screen, misfit battery, and blue screen that says 'startup repair'. It boots once in 20 tries. Took it to local tech. He says must be a bad hard drive, but he can't save my programs as he says they can't be 'transferred' and MUST be "installed". Is he correct? How could the Staples "service' have missed a bad hard drive? Is that what caused the Black screen?

Simultaneous my Dell laptop went bad. It has power but fails to due anything. Same local tech says bad motherboard. Says he can't fix; none available from Dell and Ebay boards are unreliable. I have the hard drive from the Dell so my data should be OK. Nothing like losing two laptops at once.

So I bought a refurbished Thinkpad.

I wish to avoid this hassle again. So I need to make a rescue CD called a snapshot or image? On CD, USB or external hard drive? I have a external Seagate to do backups. Thought I'd put in something like Norton's now defunct GoBack, so I have "layered" protection for my programs and data. Would Macrium Reflect change any partitions on my Thinkpad hard drive? Is there a easier to use program? Does Macrium Reflect use it's own software or does it use Seagate's software to make backups on my external Seagate drive?

Thanks for sharing your knowledge!

USAFRet

Titan
Macrium is EASY.

Once you go through the process once or twice, you'll see how easy it actually is.

And, create a RescueUSB. Stash this somewhere safe.
You'd use that to boot up, and recover the Image you created to a new replacement drive.

Basically....
You use Macrium to write out a Full drive Image off to some other device.
If needed, you boot from the RescueUSB, recover, and tell it where the Image is, and what drive to apply it to.

It makes no changes to the source drive(s). It saves an Image off to some other drive, with a filename of <whatever>.mrimage.

For your other situation....a dead or dying drive may be too far gone to recover from.
Backups are what you do before the Bad Thing happens.

Solution