GoDaddy: We Were Not Attacked, It Was a Server Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
[citation][nom]first sentence of article[/nom]Yesterday Anonymous is took responsibility for knocking major web host and GoDaddy offline, causing a wave of associated sites to go down for the count as well.l[/citation]

That "is" and the "and" shouldn't be there. The "and" also gives the impression that there's a word missing rather than an extra "and".

On topic:
Any network admins out there, can you describe what would need to be done to hack a system and do something like this? It seems like if it was an attack, it was more complex than the average script kiddie can manage and the response on twitter doesn't seem how someone who's better than a script kiddie would word a response.

EDIT: added another mistake that was made in the article.

ddpruitt

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
I believe them.
"Never attribute to malice that which can be attributed to incompetence."

Using a DDOS, which is the only thing Anonymous can seem to do, to bring down that many websites is extremely difficult. Screwing up routing tables and killing websites, now that's easy.

jellico

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
Alrighty... so they'd rather be thought of as incompetent at their core business rather than just a little weak a security. I don't know... I might have gone a different way on this press release.

[citation][nom]ddpruitt[/nom]I believe them."Never attribute to malice that which can be attributed to incompetence."Using a DDOS, which is the only thing Anonymous can seem to do, to bring down that many websites is extremely difficult. Screwing up routing tables and killing websites, now that's easy.[/citation]

Any sufficiently shocking display of incompetence is indistinguishable from malice

sun-devil99

Honorable
Jul 17, 2012
[citation][nom]bigdragon[/nom]I think "internal network events" is worse than being hacked. Looks like GoDaddy needs to spend more money on their IT staff and less on advertising.[/citation]
Very true, I learned that real quick when I worked in their customer care dept. That and they need to offer better salary and benefits if they expect to hire (and for that matter retain) 'IT Staff'.

chrisjust98

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2010
[citation][nom]tupz[/nom]server problem & router config problem are 2 separate things.[/citation]

You can use a server as a router. Don't know if that's what they do, but it can be done.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
Ah, denial as if anyone will actually buy this and even worse their dishonesty is likely to cost them even more. Reminds me the time the information minister of Iraq was claiming no US troops were in Baghdad when our tanks were seen patrolling in the distance. In-fact did GoDaddy hire that guy?

thecolorblue

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012
[citation][nom]ddpruitt[/nom]I believe them."Never attribute to malice that which can be attributed to incompetence."Using a DDOS, which is the only thing Anonymous can seem to do, to bring down that many websites is extremely difficult. Screwing up routing tables and killing websites, now that's easy.[/citation]

go daddy paid hosting servers have hundreds of websites on them each (thousands)???
how many would have to be hit in order to take down the # of sites that went offline?
also, since those servers are already over stressed with the # of sites on them how difficult would it be to overload them?

honest questions because I don't know

therabiddeer

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2008
While it could be true it wasnt a DDoS attack or a hack, whos to say it wasnt an internal event from anonymous? Social engineering to physically do things to the servers is just as plausible.

namelessted

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2008
[citation][nom]First Sentence[/nom]Yesterday Anonymous is took responsibility for knocking major web host and GoDaddy offline...[/citation]

Who is editing these news posts? That sentence just makes my head hurt.

hapkido

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011

According to godaddy, they messed up their routing tables. It wouldn't be an issue of overloading servers. It's like this --

If router A is directed router B
And router B is directed to router C
Traffic will flow from A to C

Now let's same the entry became corrupted or (more likely) someone made an error.

If router A is directed to router B
And router B is directed to router A
Traffic will not flow from A to C

That's a simplified view, but that's what they're saying happened, and it's very plausible that's what did happen. It's more likely that a careless sys admin committed a bad routing entry than anonymous DDoSed godaddy.

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
Here's the thing, Anonymous had been silent for a while, and in only about a week they take claim for two events in which those involved deny it was even a hacking. Given that Anonymous has not shown in the past a penchant for going after Apple, or targeting single individuals, the Apple UDID story didn't sound like them anyway. Then with this GoDaddy thing, you would have thought they would have somehow hyped this ahead of time like they have others. To claim that this was SOPA revenge, you would think they would have done this back when SOPA was actually an issue, not now when most don't remember it all that well and it hasn't popped back up on a legislative schedule. Not saying it's not possible they did this, but I am highly suspicious about them claiming credit for two actions in only a week that don't have their traditional hallmarks.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]bigdragon[/nom]I think "internal network events" is worse than being hacked. Looks like GoDaddy needs to spend more money on their IT staff and less on advertising.[/citation]

That suggestion would've been useful awhile ago.

There's a reason there's a website called, "No Daddy".

G

Mistakes happen. Any company can and will make these errors. Saying that GoDaddy is a bad host is just childish.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]Amrut223[/nom]Mistakes happen. Any company can and will make these errors. Saying that GoDaddy is a bad host is just childish.[/citation]

When you have a "NoDaddy" website filled with angry, angry current/former customers' complaints, you have a problem.

Or ignore it.

Or file a lawsuit against the website operator.

QEFX

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2007
[citation][nom]namelessted[/nom]Who is editing these news posts? That sentence just makes my head hurt.[/citation]

I think the Aflac Duck is the head proofreader and editor here.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]QEFX[/nom]I think the Aflac Duck is the head proofreader and editor here.[/citation]

He has better English than some of the people around here sadly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS