Going from 750 GB to an SSD 128 GB with Windows 7

fish58

Reputable
Dec 12, 2014
The 750 GB HD is partitioned into a C, D and E drive of 100 GB, 500 GB, and 50 GB respectively. I imaged the C: drive onto the new SSD using the entire space available on the SSD (128 GB). I disconnected the 750 and then started the machine up using the Recovery Disk. Remove Recovery disk and reboot. Machine comes up fine on only the SSD. If I add any hard drives at this point (turn off machine and add), the machine can't find the OS and asks me to do a recovery from a system image. If I disconnect the hard drives except the SSD, it boots fine. What do I need to do ?

Solution
It sounds like you need to change your BIOS settings so that it will attempt to boot from your SSD first. I think when you plug in your old drive, the bios defaults to trying to boot from it first. The drive is still probably marked as bootable but no longer has an OS, so the boot fails.
It sounds like you need to change your BIOS settings so that it will attempt to boot from your SSD first. I think when you plug in your old drive, the bios defaults to trying to boot from it first. The drive is still probably marked as bootable but no longer has an OS, so the boot fails.

Solution

ro555555ooooooo

Reputable
Dec 12, 2014
Is it legacy boot or uefi boot? Legacy boot, you can go into your bios and change your boot options. Disable the hdd and leave the ssd as your boot drive. If uefi, it doesn't work the same way. It just boots windows boot manager, when there both connected with same OS it seems to choose original hdd to boot from. I had this issue, I booted from the ssd using the boot menu then deleted the OS of the hdd.

fischware

Reputable
May 25, 2014

I had to use BCDEdit and modify the Boot file. This wasn't an easy task. On another machine doing the same process, it worked flawlessly. The difference was I clone the entire disk which had 2 partitions of 100 MB and 500 GB. Having that 100 MB partition (its hidden) makes this transition very easy. The only way to have that 100 MB partition is when the initial install is done.