[SOLVED] Going insane

Feb 7, 2021
First time build and l installed a deepcool gammaxx gte v2 in my msi mpg z490 mobo, l can't for the life of me keep the thing from overheating still. I can only find ONE connector to plug in to - have to choose either the cpu fan or pump fan - can't do both...then IF l get the cpu to turn on long enough to see the bios screen, it tells me one or the other is not working and is overheating. I don't even care about the rbg working or not l just want the stupid thing working. The fan is running, but what is the pump then? Does it matter? And why is this so angering???

Solution
Lostandangery,

On behalf of Tom's Moderator Team, welcome aboard!

Sorry to pop your bubble, but the Gammaxx GTE V2 is woefully inadequate for the i7-10700K.

You're attempting to cool a high end 8 Core 16 Thread processor that can exceed 220 Watts with a relatively low end 4 Pipe direct touch cooler that's marginally adequate on a 4 Core 8 Thread processor.

The 10700K requires high end air such as the twin tower Noctua NH-D15 or a 280mm AIO liquid cooler. If you want to effectively cool your CPU and keep it from overheating, then you need to purchase an appropriate cooler.

At the top of each of our Forums you'll see "Sticky" Threads which are information resources that are permanently "stuck" in place so they're always...
With that cooler, your cpu shouldn't overheat immediately, even with no fans.

You either did not put enough mounting pressure, or didn't remove the protective plastic, or didn't put thermal paste or similar.
Try reseeding the cooler, and checking both thermal paste spread and if there are any plastics you might have left between them.

Also, about CPU_FAN and AIO_PUMP
Both are the same, but with different pre-tuned profiles.

You should use CPU_FAN, but it's not a big deal. you can hook it up to AIO_PUMP then change in the bios for it to act like a cpu fan, though it will work even without doing that.

Feb 7, 2021
the pump? that if you use a water cooler
sound like you didn't install the air cooler correctly

what your full system spec?
Don't have a water cooler. I mean, it doesn't seem to be too many ways to install it and there is just the one cable to power it that l can see...the second cable coming out of it doesn't fit any of the connectors on the mobo that l can see.

Msi z490 mobo
Intel i7 10700k processor
Xfx radeon rx580 gtx
800w psu

Feb 7, 2021
With that cooler, your cpu shouldn't overheat immediately, even with no fans.

You either did not put enough mounting pressure, or didn't remove the protective plastic, or didn't put thermal paste or similar.
Try reseeding the cooler, and checking both thermal paste spread and if there are any plastics you might have left between them.

Also, about CPU_FAN and AIO_PUMP
Both are the same, but with different pre-tuned profiles.

You should use CPU_FAN, but it's not a big deal. you can hook it up to AIO_PUMP then change in the bios for it to act like a cpu fan, though it will work even without doing that.
It does wiggle a tiny bit, but the screw heads stripped when tightening so l can't get it much tighter. Took the plastic cover off and plenty of thermal paste. The stupid thing has like 5 fans in there and the fan on the heatsink IS working too. I can't see why it is overheating in the first 30 seconds. I can't even get it to stay on long enough to get to the bios screen to adjust anything.

I might have to buy the mounting hardware again and try and get that old one off somehow and start over l guess.

It does wiggle a tiny bit, but the screw heads stripped when tightening so l can't get it much tighter. Took the plastic cover off and plenty of thermal paste. The stupid thing has like 5 fans in there and the fan on the heatsink IS working too. I can't see why it is overheating in the first 30 seconds. I can't even get it to stay on long enough to get to the bios screen to adjust anything.

I might have to buy the mounting hardware again and try and get that old one off somehow and start over l guess.
Try reseeding it. It might work, it doesn't have to be so tight it breaks.

CompuTronix

Intel Master
Lostandangery,

On behalf of Tom's Moderator Team, welcome aboard!

Sorry to pop your bubble, but the Gammaxx GTE V2 is woefully inadequate for the i7-10700K.

You're attempting to cool a high end 8 Core 16 Thread processor that can exceed 220 Watts with a relatively low end 4 Pipe direct touch cooler that's marginally adequate on a 4 Core 8 Thread processor.

The 10700K requires high end air such as the twin tower Noctua NH-D15 or a 280mm AIO liquid cooler. If you want to effectively cool your CPU and keep it from overheating, then you need to purchase an appropriate cooler.

At the top of each of our Forums you'll see "Sticky" Threads which are information resources that are permanently "stuck" in place so they're always available for everyone's benefit. At the top of the CPUs Forum is a Sticky you should read: Intel CPU Temperature Guide 2021

Although "Throttle" temperature for the 10700K is 100°C, the consensus among well informed and highly experienced reviewers, system builders and expert overclockers, as well as Intel's Engineers is that it's prudent to observe a reasonable thermal margin below Throttle temperature for ultimate stability, performance and longevity. So regardless of environmental conditions, hardware configurations, software workloads or any other variables, Core temperatures above 85°C are not recommended.

Here's the nominal operating range for Core temperature:

Core temperatures below 80°C are ideal.

PdancCI.jpg

Also, keep in mind thatCore temperatures increase and decrease with Ambient (room) temperature, for which the International Standard for "normal" is 22°C or 72°F. Core temperatures that are marginal during Winter months may be too hot during Summer months.

Once again, welcome aboard!

CT:sol:

Solution