Going wired. Splitter or switch?

McGoldNL

Commendable
Aug 8, 2016
Hello, I have a question.
I Always played games wireless trough the WiFi on my PS4.
But my room is far from the router and its pretty frustrating sometimes with gaming (and other stuff).
So I want to connect my ps4 and my PC with an ethernet cable. But my room hasn't Got an Ethernet port. So I have to link it with another room. That room has one port. So my idea was to link a long Ethernet cable (something like 25m)from that room to my ps4 AND Pc through an ethernet splitter. I heard a switch is better, but I dont know what to use.

In short:
Another room with one port to my room through something that leaves with 2 ethernet cables for my pc and ps4.

I really hope someone can help me!
Thanks.
~McGold

Solution
A simple unmanaged switch should work. Ethernet splitter will not work.

Something like this switch:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A128S24?ref_=ams_ad_dp_asin_1

Even if you do not have gigabit speeds it never hurts to plan for the future.

Whatever manufacturer you decide to select, visit their website and read the User Guide/Manual beforehand. Just to get a better sense of what you will need to do.

Ethernet cable from the room with one port to the unmanaged ethernet switch in your room. Then one ethernet cable from the switch to the pc and one ethernet cable from the switch to the ps4.

Max ethernet cable limit is 100 m (328 feet). Use a good quality, known brand Cat 5e or even Cat 6 ethernet cable. No aluminum clad (CCA).

Ralston18

Titan
A simple unmanaged switch should work. Ethernet splitter will not work.

Something like this switch:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A128S24?ref_=ams_ad_dp_asin_1

Even if you do not have gigabit speeds it never hurts to plan for the future.

Whatever manufacturer you decide to select, visit their website and read the User Guide/Manual beforehand. Just to get a better sense of what you will need to do.

Ethernet cable from the room with one port to the unmanaged ethernet switch in your room. Then one ethernet cable from the switch to the pc and one ethernet cable from the switch to the ps4.

Max ethernet cable limit is 100 m (328 feet). Use a good quality, known brand Cat 5e or even Cat 6 ethernet cable. No aluminum clad (CCA).

Solution

Trust me a get out of jail free card does exist as a splitter which can be exteremly practical but it obviously limits cable speed to 100Base-T