good add on ATa controller

I'm currently using a ECS K7S5A PRO with latest aftermarket bios (Honey X,
Aug/2003)
I've borrowed a friend's Promise 100 TX2 in the past.
But now looking at getting my own add on ATA controller.
Want something that can work with up to 250GBs size.
Anything other then the Promise that people could recommend ?
I'm looking for a low price, maybe something I could
buy used on eBay.

Tod wrote:
> I'm currently using a ECS K7S5A PRO with latest aftermarket bios (Honey X,
> Aug/2003)
> I've borrowed a friend's Promise 100 TX2 in the past.
> But now looking at getting my own add on ATA controller.
> Want something that can work with up to 250GBs size.
> Anything other then the Promise that people could recommend ?
> I'm looking for a low price, maybe something I could
> buy used on eBay.

My PIR133 seems to work OK. $15 new.

--
-WD

Tod wrote:

> I'm currently using a ECS K7S5A PRO with latest aftermarket
> bios (Honey X, Aug/2003)
> I've borrowed a friend's Promise 100 TX2 in the past.
> But now looking at getting my own add on ATA controller.
> Want something that can work with up to 250GBs size.
> Anything other then the Promise that people could recommend ?

The cheapest I've seen for a new one is $13, delivered, from
www.acortech.com (must use coupon code "FREESHIPPING" to get price).
It uses a Silicon Image chip and supports ATA133, RAID, and 48-bit LBA
(144 million gigabytes), and they also have a SATA controller for the
same price (latter reviewed by Xbitlabs.com). I've ordered twice from
Acortech got good service each time. I tested the ATA133 cards with
IBM, Hitachi, Maxtor, Seagate, and Western Digital drives, master and
slave, and they all seemed to work without problems.

I thought that the newer BIOSes for the K7S5A Pro didn't have the 137GB
HD size limit, meaning a PCI IDE controller won't help except with
versions of Windows older than 2000.

The second built in IDE channel can get weird with hard drives.
I have my DVD and burner on the second channel.

"Tod" <no_spam_me@comcast.net> wrote in message news:sDwvd.496758$wV.201681@attbi_s54
> The second built in IDE channel can get weird with hard drives.

Utterly clueless.