[SOLVED] Good AIO for LGA 1366? -Wanted to Ask Before I Buy

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Nope, don't even need paste. Any cooler comes either with its own tube or pre-applied paste. Which are usually better than mediocre. Now if you've got some Thermal Grizzly or Noctua or gelid extreme paste, be my guest and use those, but I'd not swap out the factory paste for something like AS5 unless the factory paste was pre-applied and dried out.

enderzshadow

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2010
Nope, don't even need paste. Any cooler comes either with its own tube or pre-applied paste. Which are usually better than mediocre. Now if you've got some Thermal Grizzly or Noctua or gelid extreme paste, be my guest and use those, but I'd not swap out the factory paste for something like AS5 unless the factory paste was pre-applied and dried out.

The last bit of thermal paste, I used something that was short term...from a auto parts store. It's done alright.
So I bought some grizzly already and plan on getting rid of the junk I have in there.
You also helped me pick a sata SSD. After I get the water cooler and a side fan, I'll get this all taken care of.

Thanks again for the help.

enderzshadow

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2010
CPU Cooler: NZXT - Kraken M22 Liquid CPU Cooler ($59.90 @ OutletPC)

For under $60 this would be my choice. The M22 holds its own against a BeQuiet Dark Rock 4. The CM ML120 is pretty good, but suffers from a mediocre fan design that doesn't do so well at lower than max rpm

Not Solved, not yet

Can someone help me with this issue--

I got the cooler, but it looks like the Socket 1366 is not supported by this Kraken Cooler that I bought.
The model number matches up. But I don't see 1366 supported on the box or in the manual.
The model number that I received matches the model number I ordered.

And in the following newegg link right in the description under Block Compatibility it lists the following sockets--including 1366
Sockets listed
Intel Socket 2066 / 2011-3 / 2011 / 1366 / 1156 / 1155 / 1151 / 1150
-ON the box it lists all the above sockets--except 1366

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...=1366_water_cpu_cooler-_-35-146-064-_-Product

Is this common, as in, there is no mistake and I can use it?
Or will it not work?

I haven't opened anything up to see if I can get it to work.
I may have to return it.

enderzshadow

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2010
Huh. I'm seeing that. Even the actual listing on nzxt website doesn't say 1366, but newegg does. I'd ask nzxt about that directly and explain what's up. Somebody dropped the ball somewhere.

If newegg dropped the ball, it wasn't just them. Because I've found a few sites that list the 1366 socket and some that do not (for the same exact cooler)

Nzxt among the few that didn't list it.

enderzshadow

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2010
Quick question, in case you come back and see this

I see sites say that the best thing to remove old thermal paste is with alcohol.
I always thought they meant rubbing alcohol.

Am I missing something or is it common to use close to pure 200 proof alcohol to clean thermal paste goo?
Because thats what a few comments mentioned...not here but somewhere on line. smh...

enderzshadow

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2010
Alright, well. I spent at least 30 minutes chatting with new egg.
Chat person couldn't tell me much.
I sent them emails with pics of the box upc codes model number etc etc.
I went back to NZXT website for the M22 and saw a 'Compatibility Checker'--put in my mobo info and it IS supported.

Wondering why it just wasn't listed on their website.
Oh well.

Thanks again
Karadjgne

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Yes, if you post, we'll look :giggle:

The best, and really only recommended things to use when cleaning a cpu are 90% (or better, 75% if you absolutely must) isopropyl alcohol and coffee filters. Yes that's the good stuff rubbing alcohol. I personally use 97%—99%.

What many discount is what they don't see. The surface of the ihs (heatspreader) isn't pure, it's got irregularities, like microscopic pot-holes. Most will clean the paste off until they can't see any more left, but they've left a ton behind. The fibers in a coffee filter are micro fine and will pick up all that old stuff, you'll know it when you look at the filter after swiping the ihs and it's still coming up gray. The coffee filter is also as lint free as it gets, they don't leave lint behind, which can kill the temps and create Hotspots which can burn out cores.

Might seem like overkill, and many will say it is extravagant precautions, but to me it's like mountain climbing. Everybody knows you wear a safety harness when climbing, but the pros will check every strap twice and make sure it fits right and tight, where most will just agree that it's 'on'.

Reactions: enderzshadow

enderzshadow

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2010
Yes, if you post, we'll look :giggle:

The best, and really only recommended things to use when cleaning a cpu are 90% (or better, 75% if you absolutely must) isopropyl alcohol and coffee filters. Yes that's the good stuff rubbing alcohol. I personally use 97%—99%.

What many discount is what they don't see. The surface of the ihs (heatspreader) isn't pure, it's got irregularities, like microscopic pot-holes. Most will clean the paste off until they can't see any more left, but they've left a ton behind. The fibers in a coffee filter are micro fine and will pick up all that old stuff, you'll know it when you look at the filter after swiping the ihs and it's still coming up gray. The coffee filter is also as lint free as it gets, they don't leave lint behind, which can kill the temps and create Hotspots which can burn out cores.

Might seem like overkill, and many will say it is extravagant precautions, but to me it's like mountain climbing. Everybody knows you wear a safety harness when climbing, but the pros will check every strap twice and make sure it fits right and tight, where most will just agree that it's 'on'.

Thanks for the explanation. I'm happy to do it right the first time which oddly enough will take less time than checking compatibility..

To me, it's not overkill. Now, using 99 percent grain alcohol or delidding a processor, that is overkill. Unless you overclock, I guess.