Good components. still slow.

kristian.vdm7

Prominent
Aug 25, 2017
Hi all.

I am new but I hope you can help me out.
last summer I built myself a decent PC I thought but for some reason it is still slow.
I hoped it was a software issue so I re installed windows 10 home and deleted evertying else on the harddrive. A clean disk with only windows 10. But it is still slow with basically everything.

PC specs:

CPU:amd ryzen 5 1600
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1050 Ti
Ram: 8 gb
storage:
Samsung Evo (250 gb SSD)
1 TB HDD
Motherboard: MSI B350 PC mate

Internet: cable 200 MB/s

This should be a decent PC I thought, but with very simple things its very slow.

some examples so you might know what could cause this:

1: Logging into league of legends takes at least 20 seconds. My 5 year old laptop does it in 5. The client laggs overall very hard on this PC. also opening the shop takes 5-10 secs.

2: Scrolling through facebook goes with a delay of at least 2/3 secs and opening videos is laggy.

3. When I want to resume a youtube video, and I open youtube to click on the video, it can take up to 5 seconds before it actually resumes.

I also used this harddrive in my old laptop, and that was still very fast, so it probably has something to do with the components or the combination of them. But I really have no idea how to fix it. Its all plugged in, fans are working.

I hope someone can help me out regarding this issue.

Thanks in advance,

vandermer7

Solution

SSDs don't get fragmented and you should never defrag them

poster - can you run tracert www.google.com and post the results

and analyze your Path MTU size:

Ping can be used to find an acceptable MTU size. Make sure to take into account the 28 bytes for the IP and ICMP headers by subtracting from the packet size.

For example

Windows

ping www.meraki.com -l 1472 -f

These commands will ping host www.meraki.com with 1472 bytes of data and set the "Do-not-fragment" bit. This assumes that you are testing a 1500 byte IP datagram minus the 28 bytes of overhead (IP header).

If the results of the ping come back "Packet needs to be fragmented but DF set" try...

kristian.vdm7

Prominent
Aug 25, 2017

Thanks for your reply!

I hardly think it can be the harddrive, because I used this same harddrive in my 5 year old laptop, there everything was still fast.
Also I used 2 different harddrives in this PC (with the specs above). I am having the same problems with both the harddrives.

kristian.vdm7

Prominent
Aug 25, 2017

Hi there, thanks for your reply!

I have installed 2 sticks of ram. Each 4 GB.
The speed is 2666 Mhz. ( Kingston DDR4 HyperX Fury 2x4GB 2666)

kristian.vdm7

Prominent
Aug 25, 2017

Hi, thanks for you assistance!

Its a samsung evo 850 (250gb). Its reads 540Mb/s and writes 520 Mb/s.

ram is 2x4 gb at 2666 Mhz. ( Kingston DDR4 HyperX Fury 2x4GB 2666)

nick_hags

Prominent
Dec 9, 2017
Does your system register 8GB of RAM installed? It's possible that one might not be plugged in all the way. Also, have you opened task manager to check for background tasks eating resources?

You mention having an SSD, but is Windows installed on the SSD, or on the hard drive? Ideally it should be on the SSD. Having the games that you regularly play installed to the SSD should improve their load times as well. I'm not sure what model of hard drive you have, but it sounds like it's laptop drive, and generally those tend to be a bit slower than desktop drives, particularly if it's a lower-rpm model (such as 5400rpm).

Also, are the latest Nvidia drivers installed for your 1050 Ti?

kristian.vdm7

Prominent
Aug 25, 2017

hi, thanks for the reply.

its correctly installed. there is barely anything running, so thats also not the case.. :(

kristian.vdm7

Prominent
Aug 25, 2017

ye perhaps. maybe software is missing or something.

natx808

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2011

SSDs don't get fragmented and you should never defrag them

poster - can you run tracert www.google.com and post the results

and analyze your Path MTU size:

Ping can be used to find an acceptable MTU size. Make sure to take into account the 28 bytes for the IP and ICMP headers by subtracting from the packet size.

For example

Windows

ping www.meraki.com -l 1472 -f

These commands will ping host www.meraki.com with 1472 bytes of data and set the "Do-not-fragment" bit. This assumes that you are testing a 1500 byte IP datagram minus the 28 bytes of overhead (IP header).

If the results of the ping come back "Packet needs to be fragmented but DF set" try lowering the size of the packet until you receive a successful reply from the destination.

So if you get fragmented error, its because your MTU size is too big

Solution