Question Good dual monitor position for gaming and coding? help!

Bd6489

Prominent
Mar 12, 2019
Hi, this is a bit of a noob question but I seem to be having trouble setting up dual monitors in terms of their positioning. I have one TN display and also a new IPS monitor. And I'm not sure how I should position or go about choosing a secondary monitor. When Im gaming I prefer to be looking directly at the monitor as opposed to having it on at an angle, but at the same time I don't know if I should make my IPS the main one since thats what I would want to work on preferably considering the fact that it would be good for coding or photoshopping.

I have lots of desk space (ikea lidmon 150 cm), so how should I go about this conundrum?

edit: Monitors are Dell UltraSharp24 U2419H and Benq GL2460hm.

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Entirely subjective.

Extended display?

I prefer my main monitor (when using two monitors) directly in front of me. Desk arrangement, lighting, and physical convenience favors the secondary (reference monitor) to my left.

Just set up the monitors: make one of them the Primary ("1") and the other monitor the Secondary ("2") as you prefer.

Position the monitors where you feel appropriate. Try the arrangement for a few days and rearrange as circumstances and requirements dictate.

And if you use some dual arm mounting system then you will be able to make some minor adjustments to the setup. Often needed due to glare, shadows, and ergonomics.

Experiment and find what works for you.

Reactions: Bd6489

Bd6489

Prominent
Mar 12, 2019
Entirely subjective.

Extended display?

I prefer my main monitor (when using two monitors) directly in front of me. Desk arrangement, lighting, and physical convenience favors the secondary (reference monitor) to my left.

Just set up the monitors: make one of them the Primary ("1") and the other monitor the Secondary ("2") as you prefer.

Position the monitors where you feel appropriate. Try the arrangement for a few days and rearrange as circumstances and requirements dictate.

And if you use some dual arm mounting system then you will be able to make some minor adjustments to the setup. Often needed due to glare, shadows, and ergonomics.

Experiment and find what works for you.

Thanks, I will try different positions. I was looking to the best position that doesn't require me to move my neck or slide my chair too much to use both monitors for my purposes.