good free computer maintenance software?

alexiusyap

Honorable
Jul 13, 2013
hey guys so i just finished building my pc. in fact, im posting from it right now :) so, a big thank you to everyone who helped me out so far here! anyway, i got it to run just fine thankfully and i find it rather fast than my old system (lga 775) and now im worried it might end up like my old computer since i barely know squat about computer maintenance. so, can anyone help me out and point me to the direction of some good free computer maintenance software? i would also love to add a software that lets me monitor computer activity to that as well as software that lets me monitor cpu, ram, gpu activity so as i would know what will be causing lag and such.

Solution
I don't think that you can get much better free computer maintenance software than the code that makes this site work.

There is lots of tips and ideas available here for free and an a bonus, you get to learn about what it is that tuning utilities actually do to the system.

The thing about cleaners, optimisers and spybot software is - who cleans, optimises and scrutinises them?

I remember one of the early spybot programs on an XP system. Upon installion, it wrote an entry into the registry which it then found on its first scan and reported it as some terrible life-threatening virus.

Also, even though it claimed to securely wipe data, it maintained a file that kept track of details of the data that had been deleted, websites and so...
Hello.... there's a Old maintenance term we would use... Crap in = Crap out... in other words, Programs you load into your computer will lend themselves to Run in the background, change settings, and bring a fresh install of Windows to a Slow Crawl... Don't download stuff that are not what you need everyday, and from places that are not safe or could have SPYWARE in them... Don't let programs Look for and do automatic updates the minute you go online... " IF it Ain't broken, Don't try to Fix It!!!" MIND SET is needed to prevent you from clicking the install button on your Computer screen... Don't Trust and Load programs that say your computer will run better with it..." keep your Computer a Lean Mean Running Machine", by only using Genuine Software for the Purposes that you need.
The only maintenance I do is clean the Fans and Case out of Dust... And the monitoring Tool I use is a screw driver and my Eyes.

Hello... The TASK MANGER in Windows can perform Activity information... MSconfig can tell you what software is loading each time Windows starts... Disk Cleanup and Defrag, can perform Disk file cookie/temp file Cleaning... Programs and Features, will un-install Programs... Restore Points will Bring your Windows Registry to earlier times... Performance Information and Tools, will run a test on your hardware... All included for free.. And it's all Genuine Windows Software.

alexiusyap

Honorable
Jul 13, 2013
i see but all of those programs' interfaces confuse me unlike ccleaner which has a very noob friendly interface, i think i forgot to mention that i am not at all technology oriented when it comes to software and data and what not, i was just lucky enough to understand what parts and features were needed to build a decent pc

himnextdoor

Honorable
Oct 26, 2013
I don't think that you can get much better free computer maintenance software than the code that makes this site work.

There is lots of tips and ideas available here for free and an a bonus, you get to learn about what it is that tuning utilities actually do to the system.

The thing about cleaners, optimisers and spybot software is - who cleans, optimises and scrutinises them?

I remember one of the early spybot programs on an XP system. Upon installion, it wrote an entry into the registry which it then found on its first scan and reported it as some terrible life-threatening virus.

Also, even though it claimed to securely wipe data, it maintained a file that kept track of details of the data that had been deleted, websites and so forth.

Mind you, my view is that the ones who profit most from viruses are the anti-virus software producers.

And Microsoft of course, who get to sell more security updates to the world.

Also, by taking a hands-on approach, you can avoid being fleeced by charlatans who will charge the price of a new motherboard for cleaning the dust off the fins of a dirty fan.

The girls love intelligent sounding guys too.

Solution