Good Gaming components?

SamBruffell

Reputable
Jun 13, 2016
I am looking at upgrading my computer for gaming. I know a bit about upgrading computers but not a massive amount. This is what I am thinking of upgrading to
Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz 6-Core Processor
Cooler Master - MasterAir MA610P 53.4 CFM CPU Cooler
Gigabyte - Z370 AORUS Gaming 5 (rev. 1.0) ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3600 Memory
Thermaltake - Commander FT Fan Controller
Would this set up be good for gaming? I also want this to be somewhat future proof since I am off to university in the summer and do all the components work together? Thanks! :)

ragnar-gd

Reputable
P.S.: Your GPU is a bit faster than a GTX 1050 Ti (like 5%) or a GTX 960, and about 10% slower than a RX 570... it will be the limiting factor of your build... doesn't matter much, though, depending on the games you like... so asking: What are the games, resolution and detail-level you want to play at? Not buying a GPU at the moment is wise, if you can wait, it will save a lot of money...
P.P.S.: The rest does look good to me, and can potentially support a GTX 1080 Ti and all modern games on 4K with ease, so it IS futureproof.

SamBruffell

Reputable
Jun 13, 2016
Ah great thank you, and I have a PS4 that I will take with me that I can connect to my monitor with HDMI so I can play most games on that but I would like ideally to play things like Forza Horizon 3, Battlefield 1, Need For Speed Payback and games like that on my PC at a decent framerate, 1920 x 1080 is the resolution I would ideally like for the games and anything from medium detail level up I would be happy with :)

List ALL your parts.

8700K can get hot so a better cooler is likely appropriate.
You will not get the overclock you deserve with a cooler with a 120mm fan.

But... your case will determine what you can install.
Also, consider that tall fancy ram heat spreaders can get in the way of many coolers.

R9-380X needs a decent 550w psu.

SamBruffell

Reputable
Jun 13, 2016
Would the original cooler which I mentioned in my first post still work with this? ideally I would like a RGB cooler or an LED cooler so if it doesn't can you suggest any coolers with either RGB or LED lights? Thanks

Sorry, I am not into "bling"

For effective cooling, you probably want to look for a cooler with a larger/slower 140mm fan.

It would function, yes.
It would work with only a mild overclock.
Your 8700K deserves better.

I suspect there are some more effective RGB coolers out there; do some research.
You are looking for a cooler with a larger 140mm fan.

v1adimir

Prominent
Jul 15, 2017

Yeah, love it, LOL; "I am looking at upgrading my computer for gaming", by keeping the box. ;p

EDIT:

... A stock cooler would (also, hehe) work, just fine, btw.