Good gaming pc?

lasernut123o

Prominent
Feb 2, 2018
Any recommendations for this computer? If so please say. Here’s the link https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/FGrxYT. Don’t worry about all the manual priced things. Please don’t.

Solution
All good. Just two changes recommended.
EVGA BQ is mediocre. Swap it with Seasonic S12II 620W. Same price but better quality.
Swap the USB WIFI with TP Link PCIe unit. They are immensely better quality.

Rest is fine.

WildCard999

Titan
I'd change the PSU, the BQ aren't exactly a good quality unit. Also if possible go for the 29" version of that ultrawide as you may find the height pretty small and at least the 29" version is about the same as a 24" 16:9 screen. Besides those the build looks good.

I would also advise making sure the games you play support 21:9 or can be properly modded to fit the screen. The games that do support it though look absolutely amazing!

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador

Agreed . . for $0.01 CAD more, the 29" is the way to go.

NORMALLY you could probably go for an even bigger 2560x1080 if you drop down the video card to a 1070. The 1080 is definitely overkill, and the 1070 is more than you'd need, but the 1060 might not cope, so the 1070 is the best way to go in general. BUT - with video card prices as crazy as they are... well, the cheapest 1070 I see listed is about $67 CAD less than the 1080. That'll put you halfway to a 34" screen.

EDIT: wait, if you can get a 1070Ti for 565.85 CAD, then do it! That $100 would definitely get you most of the way to the bigger monitor.

Also, do you need the WiFi? Isn't that included with most new motherboards? (don't hold me to this, I never actually use WiFi on my PCs, but I thought it was a standard thing these days)

EDIT Part 2: Do you really need a motherboard with mutli-GPU support? A single 1070/1070Ti will be more than enough to handle anything you can throw at it with a 2560x1080 resolution. Might be able to save a little more going for a board without multi-GPU capability...

lasernut123o

Prominent
Feb 2, 2018
I could drop to a 1070ti and get the 34 but I’m not even sure about getting ultrawide. I was using my friends huge 34 inch ultra wide monitor on YouTube but there is always black bars.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador

The black bars are likely because the video was recorded at 16:9 aspect ratio, so it was displaying at that ratio without stretching it to 21:9 - but stretching would make it look weird.

BUT, that would be the case with ANY 21:9 monitor displaying 16:9 content, unless you explicitly set things to stretch it out to fill the screen.

In gaming, though, most games will give you the full 21:9, and thus the extra field of view.

I was always one of those guys who kept saying that ultrawide was just a gimmick and not worth it. USED TO say that.

I now have my own monitor, and my son's, both as ultrawide, and have never looked back.

WildCard999

Titan

Your going to get black bars on videos or games where 21:9 is not supported. That being said though I was pleasantly surprised at the amount of games that are natively supported that I played and TBH unless support drops off completely (I don't see that happening) I won't go back to a 16:9 monitor. Games such as World of Warships, Blade & Soul, Senua's Sacrifice and Shadow of Modor to name a few look amazing on a IPS ultrawide.