Question Good motherboard feature list?

vacip

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2013
Hello,

browsing for MOBOs is a bit overwhelming.

Do you know of a detailed and accurate feature list for the currently available 700 (Z790, H780, B760) motherboards?

I know roughly what I need, and reading the 100th "best MOBO for intel 13th gen" article (all of which mention the same 5 motherboards) doesn't get me any closer to the truth.

E.g. Pcpartpicker is cute, but it doesn't let me filter for ethernet chipset manufacturer or optical sound output.

Thank you!

The best I've been able to do is to visit each manufacturer's web site and then use its "compare" function to reveal differences among candidate motherboards.

I've never seen a database at a single site that encompassed all the manufacturers, so you'd have to visit them individually and then cross-compare against competitors.

Clunky and time consuming, so I hope you find something I haven't found.

You could fumble around trying to use the sort categories at a seller like Newegg, but that would likely be inadequate. Amazon is hopeless for that purpose.

Reactions: vacip

Rathnhake

Reputable
Jan 8, 2020
There was motherboardDB but I think they stopped some years ago... That basically ran as many comparisons as you wanted but ig the hussle of keeping the database updated was enough for them to stop.

Then again, if u say what are some of your needs then I can give you a few different suggestions (it's that or the same ol top 5 motherboards in every site)

vacip

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2013
There was motherboardDB but I think they stopped some years ago... That basically ran as many comparisons as you wanted but ig the hussle of keeping the database updated was enough for them to stop.

Then again, if u say what are some of your needs then I can give you a few different suggestions (it's that or the same ol top 5 motherboards in every site)
Thanks, I was suspecting that it would be too much work to maintain such a site.

I'm looking for MOBO for i7 13700k.

I plan to use the new system for 8-10 years, with one GPU upgrade down the line. I hate e-waste, I hate the "buy buy buy new new new" mentality, and this has worked for me so far.

So most of all, I need a robust, well built MOBO that won't blow a capacitor 1 day after warranty is over. I know it is impossible to know, but I'll go for a vendor with the best track record. (Asus likely, or Gigabyte/Asrock, but open to recommendations.)

I need optical audio out, DDR5 RAM, PCIe gen5 for GPU and an NVMe (10 years is the target, so overkill for now is good).
I don't need Wifi, rgb, 10 gig LAN.
I red here an article about faulty Intel ethernet chipsets, so I'm looking for an alternative one (e.g. Realtek).
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/i...rnet-issues-but-its-just-a-workaround-for-now
I don't really plan to overclock, as CPU longevity is important, and I'll go air cooling (Noctua NHD15-ish - silent+low maintenance).
Couple of USB ports, 3 SATA ports, 1-2 nvme ports, simple ATX, 3 PCI slots jut in case.

Thank you!

vacip

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2013
The best I've been able to do is to visit each manufacturer's web site and then use its "compare" function to reveal differences among candidate motherboards.

I've never seen a database at a single site that encompassed all the manufacturers, so you'd have to visit them individually and then cross-compare against competitors.

Clunky and time consuming, so I hope you find something I haven't found.

You could fumble around trying to use the sort categories at a seller like Newegg, but that would likely be inadequate. Amazon is hopeless for that purpose.
Hmm, I was afraid I had to do this. Luckily I'm only interested in 3-4 manufacturers, so that narrows it down a bit.
Thank you!