Good motherboard to OC i5 3570k?

steddora

Honorable
Nov 13, 2012
You can overclock a 3570, but you'll have to do it with the host clock which I highly recommend NOT doing on any 1155 motherboard.

I will vote the Hyper212+ as well, but I'll also recommend getting another fan for it, or if you feel froggy; two really good performance fans for even better performance.

I also vote for the ASRock models and MSI models as well. Most boards will easily do 4.2Ghz, just remember to make sure if you DO get a 3570k, that you get a motherboard that is compatible with the Ivy Bridge processor from the start.

Adroid

Distinguished
You should check the recent toms Z77 motherboard roundup article... Any of those will do.

I highly recommend Gigabyte, and admittedly a Gigabyte fanboy. They are easy to use, and hard to break.

Got my GA- Z77X -D3H for 115$ after rebate on Amazon (although I think the prices went up a bit). My 3570K is running nice and happy @4.3GHZ with a CM212 EVO cooler (which is worth the additional 5$, I might add)

Whatever you do, DO NOT by a H77 board - or you can forget about overclocking. Get a reputable brand Z77. I hear Biostar, ASRock, Asus are all pretty good brands.

That said, as aforementioned - I always buy Gigabyte and have not been disapointed with any of my builds.

Edit : My Gigabyte Z77X also came with revision 1.1 and the latest F15 Bios - that was the icing on the cake ;)

euphoria4949

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2012
I have the ASUS Sabertooth Z77 with my 3570k and the Hyper 212 Evo (Single fan) and I have mine running stable at 4.5Ghz, with maximum temps at full load 62c and idle at 26c.
It's not the best MoBo for extreme OC'ing but if you only want to go up to 4.5/4.6 then it will be more than good enough. And +1 for the 212 Evo, it's brilliant =)

asalikus

Honorable
Apr 29, 2012
I recommend you get ASRock Z77 Extreme4 because its cheap, supports CF/SLI in x8 speeds (16x single), lot of rewards including Toms Hardware Tom’s Hardware Approved Award and I use it, its a pretty good motherboard, didn't have a single problem with it yet. :)

zpwslayer

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2012
Im using the ASRock pro4 and its a great board. Im not goin to run more than one card so i chose this board. The bios is super easy to use and you'll be able to achieve your desired oc in no time at all. I also love gigabyte boards, ive always had great luck with there boards and gpus.

haswell5271

Honorable
Jan 11, 2013
I am also using the ASRock Pro 4. It's a cheap board that offers GREAT results. I am at a stable overclock of 4.2 GHz on the stock heatsink (my desired Hyper 212 wont fit). I have used this board in 2 other gaming rigs for friends and it is wonderful.

zpwslayer

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2012

Im at 4.0ghz on the stock cooler. What was the clearance issue? Was it your ram or the case you have, because thats the cooler that im looking to buy here soon so i can further push this cpu?

Adroid

Distinguished

Agree, there is little reason to buy more than the Z77 DS3 or the UD3H, unless you are connecting a boatload of peripherals, or you are going for a high end watercooler 5GHZ type system. For most people, the performance gains aren't worth the extra hundreds of dollars.