Question Good old Reboot and Select Proper Boot Drive issue...

Jlavigne

Honorable
Aug 18, 2015
Good day fellows! :) Hope you're all doing great! :)
So, my build isn't that new, probably 3 or 4 years old by now I'd say? MOBO is Aorus X470 Ultra Gaming with a M.2 slot PCIe 3 where my Samsung Evo 970 500Gb nvme SSD is. Windows 10 installed on the SSD of course, then I have an extra HHD to install my games.

I think I got the Gigabyte App Centre firmware update at one point 2 months ago so I clicked on it to update it. Or, it could be one of Windows' update... in May or something (before this issue, I was seeing a new Win update, so it would have to be the update prior to the June update). Anyways, I updated something and at first, OUT OF THE BLUE, I was getting sometimes the Reboot and Select Proper Boot Drive error message. But after a few reboots, shutting down the PC, unplugging it and all of what I've been able to find online, magically the PC would boot and I would be able to continue using it until I would shut it down. Coming out of hibernation wasn't an issue, just when closing the PC... But yesterday, that trick didn't want to work. I've read tips online, so I've changed my mobo battery (yet I doubt it would be that issue), I've swapped the SSD on to the other M.2 port, unplugged the HDD... nothing wants to let me get into Windows. I believe I saw that the BIOS version was F3?

The thing is that at times, the SSD is recognized in the boot priority order, sometimes not. BUT EVEN IF DETECTED it still will not boot, and now I can't recreate the fix where it would still boot.

Any ideas of why this could happen?
And any ideas on how to fix it? Except for trying to format it with a new WIN10 installation?? I would hate it because even if I've installed games on the HDD, some folders are still appearing on the SSD so that would probably mess up my games, right??

Thanks again for your help, much appreciated! :)
J

Good day fellows! :) Hope you're all doing great! :)
So, my build isn't that new, probably 3 or 4 years old by now I'd say? MOBO is Aorus X470 Ultra Gaming with a M.2 slot PCIe 3 where my Samsung Evo 970 500Gb nvme SSD is. Windows 10 installed on the SSD of course, then I have an extra HHD to install my games.

I think I got the Gigabyte App Centre firmware update at one point 2 months ago so I clicked on it to update it. Or, it could be one of Windows' update... in May or something (before this issue, I was seeing a new Win update, so it would have to be the update prior to the June update). Anyways, I updated something and at first, OUT OF THE BLUE, I was getting sometimes the Reboot and Select Proper Boot Drive error message. But after a few reboots, shutting down the PC, unplugging it and all of what I've been able to find online, magically the PC would boot and I would be able to continue using it until I would shut it down. Coming out of hibernation wasn't an issue, just when closing the PC... But yesterday, that trick didn't want to work. I've read tips online, so I've changed my mobo battery (yet I doubt it would be that issue), I've swapped the SSD on to the other M.2 port, unplugged the HDD... nothing wants to let me get into Windows. I believe I saw that the BIOS version was F3?

The thing is that at times, the SSD is recognized in the boot priority order, sometimes not. BUT EVEN IF DETECTED it still will not boot, and now I can't recreate the fix where it would still boot.

Any ideas of why this could happen?
And any ideas on how to fix it? Except for trying to format it with a new WIN10 installation?? I would hate it because even if I've installed games on the HDD, some folders are still appearing on the SSD so that would probably mess up my games, right??

Thanks again for your help, much appreciated! :)
J
Just to take a look post a screenshot from crystal disk info for both disk.

Jlavigne

Honorable
Aug 18, 2015
I also did chkdisk with Win10 boot drive to try to repair, at first it found my HDD, then I typed C: and it brought my SSD. Run the command for both and they seem to work fine...