[SOLVED] Good PC, bad FPS on Valorant :(

Jamiee

Commendable
Jul 18, 2019
Hey, I've been experiencing bad fps recently in valorant, ranging from 220 to 120 in gunfights, this is annoying as i have a 144hz and it affects my aim in gunfights when I drop below 144fps.

My specs are:
RTX 3070
Ryzen 7 3800X
16GB DDR4 3600Mhz (XMP)
X570 Gaming Pro Carbon Wifi

My friend who has a Ryzen 5 5600X and a 1060 gets double my fps. I've done many optimizations to the game and my PC (all safe nothing stupid, all recommended and trustworthy) and I'm starting to think it's a problem with my hardware.
Any help is appreciated, thank you very much!

Solution
Your system is overkill for Valorant, you are supposed to get at least 250 fps with that CPU, unless you have something wrong that could be causing the drops.

To start, please check your CPU and GPU temperature during gaming sessions, check if XMP is enabled in the BIOS, also monitor your task manager for any suspicious/high load programs running in the background and for disk and CPU usage. And do you have an SSD?

Fiorezy

Notable
Jul 3, 2020
Your system is overkill for Valorant, you are supposed to get at least 250 fps with that CPU, unless you have something wrong that could be causing the drops.

To start, please check your CPU and GPU temperature during gaming sessions, check if XMP is enabled in the BIOS, also monitor your task manager for any suspicious/high load programs running in the background and for disk and CPU usage. And do you have an SSD?

Solution

Jamiee

Commendable
Jul 18, 2019

Hey, XMP is enabled and my CPU temps are 60-70 whilst gaming and my gpu temps are 40-50. I often have task manager running to make sure nothing is interrupting whilst I play and it doesn't ever seem as if that's the case. Whilst in game I have 15% GPU usage and around 25% CPU usage. I'm not sure what the problem is and I appreciate you helping :)

Jacob 51

Notable
Dec 31, 2020
Hey, XMP is enabled and my CPU temps are 60-70 whilst gaming and my gpu temps are 40-50. I often have task manager running to make sure nothing is interrupting whilst I play and it doesn't ever seem as if that's the case. Whilst in game I have 15% GPU usage and around 25% CPU usage. I'm not sure what the problem is and I appreciate you helping :)
GPU usage is pretty low but the game is low too so I don't think its because of the usage. You should try some other demanding game and check the GPU usage.