[SOLVED] Good psu for a 1080ti strix oc and a i7 4820k

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ElToroXCI

Honorable
Jun 13, 2015
So my seasonic 1050x died and I need a new psu, i dont really want something really premium at the moment cause i just want to fix my pc as soon as possible and was not in my plans to upgrade.

So if you can recommend something how would you say it, that does the job not that expensive probably a 80 bronze modular if possible.

Thanks

Solution
Ill try to check with this guy with a good pc to see if the 750ti gives flckering connected to several monitors, if the result is the same then is most likely the 750ti was faulty before my friend lent it to me and all was a coincidence, if it doesnt flickrs like my system does then the mobo is the one giving problems.

In this moment is almost impossible to me to buy new parts cause i am short of cash, the 1080ti most likely is dead so the reason to my black screen is the gpu, however i still want to know what really happened that killed my gpu so i can decide if i should just buy a new gpu when i manage to save some cash (they are really really expensive at this moment) or if i will need to replace mobo...
So after testing the 750ti for a while i was not able to recreate the black screen crash, however my screen flickrs in any monitor i am using, sometimes is a flickr some other times is like no signal for 2 seconds then normal for some minutes then flickr for like 30 seconds is weird it didnt even make that error at my friend pc.

Still the truth is that even with flickering I was not able to recreate crash so with not enough proof all still points to my 1080ti to be faulty.

Tomorrow my friend will be able to open it and check it ill let you know if he detects a failure.
Which PSU are you using?

ElToroXCI

Honorable
Jun 13, 2015
Hi everybody

i know i took so long to reply but i finally managed to meet someone at my hometown with a good psu to try my GPU.

At the end it definetely was my gpu, it gave the same error it gave to me however i think the problem is bigger than i thought.

my friend lend me a 750ti he had laying there as i mentioned before, the gpu has been running fine for some weeks beside the flickering i also mentioned.

however since yesterday night i va been experiencing horrible frame drops at every game.

apex i usually run it at 60average but in a match (which i was doing good btw) it suddenly dropped to 15 frames it was totally unexpected and horrible

at rocket league i play it around 80 frames all low and it was running fine just after closing apex but some minutes later it went down to 25 frames.

i have the feeling now that my psu was tested and worked good with his pc that the problem might be the mobo plus the gpu.

i once saw in a forum a guy saying that his problem was the mobo and his gpu. i dunno how to check this but there is no other component left to check

the temperatured were fine for the cpu around 32c and gpu 55 -60 while gaming.

ElToroXCI

Honorable
Jun 13, 2015
Hi everybody

i know i took so long to reply but i finally managed to meet someone at my hometown with a good psu to try my GPU.

At the end it definetely was my gpu, it gave the same error it gave to me however i think the problem is bigger than i thought.

my friend lend me a 750ti he had laying there as i mentioned before, the gpu has been running fine for some weeks beside the flickering i also mentioned.

however since yesterday night i va been experiencing horrible frame drops at every game.

apex i usually run it at 60average but in a match (which i was doing good btw) it suddenly dropped to 15 frames it was totally unexpected and horrible

at rocket league i play it around 80 frames all low and it was running fine just after closing apex but some minutes later it went down to 25 frames.

i have the feeling now that my psu was tested and worked good with his pc that the problem might be the mobo plus the gpu.

i once saw in a forum a guy saying that his problem was the mobo and his gpu. i dunno how to check this but there is no other component left to check

the temperatured were fine for the cpu around 32c and gpu 55 -60 while gaming.

Sorry for double post

Today the same error black screen fans at max occurred again this time with the 750ti, is a componente killing the gpus I connect?

Endre

Reputable
So my seasonic 1050x died and I need a new psu, i dont really want something really premium at the moment cause i just want to fix my pc as soon as possible and was not in my plans to upgrade.

So if you can recommend something how would you say it, that does the job not that expensive probably a 80 bronze modular if possible.

Thanks

Here’s a good one at $145 MSRP.
Corsair RM850x (850W, 80+ Gold)

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categ...ply-Units-Advanced/RMx-Series/p/CP-9020180-NA

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I seriously doubt it's the psu. Everything now runs on the 12v rail. If the psu 12v rail fails, you don't get a CTD, you get a shutdown.

A 75w 750ti with issues, a 200w 1080ti that CTD's, sounds a lot more like motherboard failure than either gpu or psu.

Op, your motherboard have 2 slots, try the lower slot.

ElToroXCI

Honorable
Jun 13, 2015
If you are still on the same PSU, you need to try some other unit.

hellfire13

Tried the 1080ti with this guy psu and worked better than me but it went black fans max too, it only took a bit long with him to get the problem, now i know something fried my gpu however he tested my psu in his unit and all good no problem occured, at least for the 2 hours i was at his place, my gpu (750ti) now works good again , apparently.... however if it happens again i might just go and tell him to check my 750ti with his psu.

check the response to karadigne for extra info

ElToroXCI

Honorable
Jun 13, 2015
I seriously doubt it's the psu. Everything now runs on the 12v rail. If the psu 12v rail fails, you don't get a CTD, you get a shutdown.

A 75w 750ti with issues, a 200w 1080ti that CTD's, sounds a lot more like motherboard failure than either gpu or psu.

Op, your motherboard have 2 slots, try the lower slot.

karadjgne

with my 1080ti i tried all slots and same problem i confirmed it unfornutely died as it didnt work with this guys 700w psu.

i didnt try it with the 750ti cause the gpunow works ok, something to point out is that, since the 750ti was borrowed i used it with multiple monitors, it worked good but gave me flickring in one of the monitors, when the black screen error ocurred it was multiple monitors connected, after the black screen i forced a shutdown and the system went into a cycle and turned off and on repetedly, only solution was turning the psu off.

when i turned it back on it didnt light neither recognized the keyboard and mouse, my solution was to disconnect all the display and only leave one connected, now it works good, for me it sounds like a power problem, however i really point the mobo cause my psu was tested at this guy place, he is a technician, i ll rate him 8/10

Last edited:
hellfire13

Tried the 1080ti with this guy psu and worked better than me but it went black fans max too, it only took a bit long with him to get the problem, now i know something fried my gpu however he tested my psu in his unit and all good no problem occured, at least for the 2 hours i was at his place, my gpu (750ti) now works good again , apparently.... however if it happens again i might just go and tell him to check my 750ti with his psu.

check the response to karadigne for extra info
At this point the motherboard could be a suspect as pointed by Karadjgne. If the PSU works fine then there is nothing more left to diagnose except the board. So, if it happens again, you might need to contemplate testing the board.

ElToroXCI

Honorable
Jun 13, 2015
Faulty one, yes.

Ill try to check with this guy with a good pc to see if the 750ti gives flckering connected to several monitors, if the result is the same then is most likely the 750ti was faulty before my friend lent it to me and all was a coincidence, if it doesnt flickrs like my system does then the mobo is the one giving problems.

In this moment is almost impossible to me to buy new parts cause i am short of cash, the 1080ti most likely is dead so the reason to my black screen is the gpu, however i still want to know what really happened that killed my gpu so i can decide if i should just buy a new gpu when i manage to save some cash (they are really really expensive at this moment) or if i will need to replace mobo first which at this point is probably better to buy a newer mobo cause mine is already old (asus rampage extreme iv) which means i will need to change the processor and ram too(more cash)

Ill probably take some days to be able to try this as i need to ask this guy when he is available but as soon as i confirm what was the result ill let you know.

could you please help me choose a new set of components, newest technology one but at medium range in case it ends being the mobo the faulty one.

Mobo
Cpu
Ram

Thanks everybody for your time and patience.

In this moment is almost impossible to me to buy new parts cause i am short of cash, the 1080ti most likely is dead so the reason to my black screen is the gpu, however i still want to know what really happened that killed my gpu so i can decide if i should just buy a new gpu when i manage to save some cash (they are really really expensive at this moment) or if i will need to replace mobo first which at this point is probably better to buy a newer mobo cause mine is already old (asus rampage extreme iv) which means i will need to change the processor and ram too(more cash)

Ill probably take some days to be able to try this as i need to ask this guy when he is available but as soon as i confirm what was the result ill let you know.

could you please help me choose a new set of components, newest technology one but at medium range in case it ends being the mobo the faulty one.

Mobo
Cpu
Ram

Thanks everybody for your time and patience.
It would be better to think about component selection once you are certain of which ones you need to purchase. So complete all your troubleshooting and diagnose the issue first. Once you are sure about the parts to purchase, determine a budget and let us know, and we will create a part list for you.

Solution