Good second hand gaming laptops which don't look stupid

Watrevir

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2013
I tend to buy second hand laptops a few years old with good specs, as you seem to be able to get good enough hardware for 1080p gaming for under £500 on Ebay. My issue is that I hate the 'gaming laptop' look and I need to use my laptop for work, so it should have a simple, plan design with no flashy gimmicks.

I've slowly progressed:

Asus Zenbook UX501VW - i7-6700HQ - GTX 960M, 12GB RAM - £380 - 15.6" ultrabook, pretty capable but runs most newer games at low.

Gigabyte P34 v5 - i7-6700HQ - GTX 970M, 16GB RAM - £480, 14" gaming laptop, plain black, can run games at medium-high at 1080p

Can anyone recommend a laptop which would be a good upgrade for me? I.e. maybe a 1060 or a 1070 but in a plain laptop?

Reactions: al92
I tend to buy second hand laptops a few years old with good specs, as you seem to be able to get good enough hardware for 1080p gaming for under £500 on Ebay. My issue is that I hate the 'gaming laptop' look and I need to use my laptop for work, so it should have a simple, plan design with no flashy gimmicks.

I've slowly progressed:

Asus Zenbook UX501VW - i7-6700HQ - GTX 960M, 12GB RAM - £380 - 15.6" ultrabook, pretty capable but runs most newer games at low.

Gigabyte P34 v5 - i7-6700HQ - GTX 970M, 16GB RAM - £480, 14" gaming laptop, plain black, can run games at medium-high at 1080p

Can anyone recommend a laptop which would be a good upgrade for me? I.e. maybe a 1060 or a 1070 but in a plain laptop?

For a used system, there is no way to point to a single model since you need to find it used in your area at the price you want at the time you are ready to buy it before it's sold and new ones come up for sale all the time. Just search for the video card and CPU speed you want and see what's out there.

Watrevir

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2013
For a used system, there is no way to point to a single model since you need to find it used in your area at the price you want at the time you are ready to buy it before it's sold and new ones come up for sale all the time. Just search for the video card and CPU speed you want and see what's out there.

What I was trying to do with this thread was get a list together from peoples' suggestions of gaming-capable but plain laptops - the ones I mention above tick the boxes and I was wondering if anyone else could name any other good older models to look out for. Tech websites never seem to have the 'plain gaming laptop' category. Hopefully a list would be useful for other people as well, and I'm pretty sure people would be able to get similarly specced older laptops for the same price as ebay prices are fairly consistent within a small range. I sold the Zenbook above for £400 for example.