[SOLVED] Good Speedtest results but high latency ingame

Dec 25, 2020
Hello. I've moved into this new place and the internet here is good. No problems when streaming Netflix or using the Wi-Fi on phone, but issues arise when gaming on my pc. I can't finish a game of Overwatch without my latency suddenly surging in the +400ms range. I restated my router and called my internet provider, that restarted things on their end as well, but for some reason my internet connection is still unreliable when it comes to gaming.

My speedtest results are great (2ms ping, 75mbps download and upload on average).
I'm using a wireless usb adapter (TP-Link) that hasn't failed me in my previous home.
The router is 4 meters away from me, in the same room as my pc.
My router is Nokia: 7368 ISAM ONT G-240W-B

What could be the cause of this?
Thanks

Solution
Buy all your neighbors houses and kick them out :)

Wifi is massively over saturated. People are putting in multiple radio systems using mesh which just makes the problem exponentially worse.

This though is not a big problem for anything other than oneline games. Almost every other application can tolerate some packet damage and delay. Online games do not need bandwidth they need very consistent latency. It uses the timing between packets to sync the client to the game server and if these delays and not constant you get the lag spikes.

You always want to test on ethernet mostly because the ISP will always blame the wifi....likely correctly... for any issues. A ethernet cable can not delay traffic, you might see packet loss...
You really need to test with a ethernet cable before you get to far along in the troubleshooting. Games are much more susceptible to wifi interference than any other application. The symptom you describe is exactly what you would see if you got random interference form say a neighbors wifi.

Speedtest means very little other than testing that your ISP is providing what they promise. It picks the closest server it can find which is why you see things like 2ms ping times. The game sever it not likely 2ms away so there could be issues in the path between you and the game server. You can pick other cities or countries on speedtest and you will much different results. Problem is none of these actually represent the path to the game server. The game server would have to have a speedtest application running for you actually to use speedtest to test game performance.

In any case I would be very sure it is not your wifi before you start trying to debug problems that maybe in the internet itself.

Reactions: Rusty Trombone
Dec 25, 2020
You really need to test with a ethernet cable before you get to far along in the troubleshooting. Games are much more susceptible to wifi interference than any other application. The symptom you describe is exactly what you would see if you got random interference form say a neighbors wifi.

Speedtest means very little other than testing that your ISP is providing what they promise. It picks the closest server it can find which is why you see things like 2ms ping times. The game sever it not likely 2ms away so there could be issues in the path between you and the game server. You can pick other cities or countries on speedtest and you will much different results. Problem is none of these actually represent the path to the game server. The game server would have to have a speedtest application running for you actually to use speedtest to test game performance.

In any case I would be very sure it is not your wifi before you start trying to debug problems that maybe in the internet itself.

Yup, that's what I wanted to try out as well. Unfortunately all the electronics stores are closed her for the time being, so I'll be able to test this later.
Is there anything that can be done, besides connecting your pc directly to your router with a cable, if it is a signal interference issue?

Buy all your neighbors houses and kick them out :)

Wifi is massively over saturated. People are putting in multiple radio systems using mesh which just makes the problem exponentially worse.

This though is not a big problem for anything other than oneline games. Almost every other application can tolerate some packet damage and delay. Online games do not need bandwidth they need very consistent latency. It uses the timing between packets to sync the client to the game server and if these delays and not constant you get the lag spikes.

You always want to test on ethernet mostly because the ISP will always blame the wifi....likely correctly... for any issues. A ethernet cable can not delay traffic, you might see packet loss but there is no attempt to correct errors and re transmit like there is in wifi.

Not sure what to suggest if you can't run a ethernet cable across the room. Between rooms you can use things like powerline or moca.

Reactions: Rusty Trombone
Solution

TRENDING THREADS