[SOLVED] Good SSD for a GB AB350 motherboard

jdaprile18

Reputable
Jul 22, 2017
I have a ryzen 5 1500x, a gtx 1070 and 16gb of ram, im looking to get one last upgrade and that's an ssd, I have a rather poor understanding of the types but I do understand that sata ssds are slower and ssds that plug directly into the mobo are faster. I would prefer a ssd that plugs into the pcie slot so I can easily install it but I am open to using one of the ones that goes in the slot below the gpu slot (the kind you screw down) im looking for a recommendation, my only size limitation is that it has to be big enough for star citizen (so around 200gb)

Solution
understand that sata ssds are slower and ssds that plug directly into the mobo are faster
You have been misled.

M.2 SSDs (the ones that screw into the mobo) come in 2 varieties. SATA and NVME (PCIe). And then there are different form factors, but most are 2280.

SATA m.2 drive are identical performing to a 2.5in SSD.
NVME SSDs are generally faster than SATA 2.5in or M.2 SSDs in benchmarks, but for game loading, you will not notice any difference between a good 2.5in ssd and a good NVME M.2 SSD.
understand that sata ssds are slower and ssds that plug directly into the mobo are faster
You have been misled.

M.2 SSDs (the ones that screw into the mobo) come in 2 varieties. SATA and NVME (PCIe). And then there are different form factors, but most are 2280.

SATA m.2 drive are identical performing to a 2.5in SSD.
NVME SSDs are generally faster than SATA 2.5in or M.2 SSDs in benchmarks, but for game loading, you will not notice any difference between a good 2.5in ssd and a good NVME M.2 SSD.

Solution