Question Good time to build new PC or wait for holiday season?

zmihlrad

Reputable
Nov 20, 2018
Hey guys,

Been around 3-4 years since I built my current setup and id like to start fresh.

Is it worthwhile at this point to stick it out until the holidays or is that not as much of a thing anymore?

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
there will be sales of course but the newest, latest, greatest won't be part of it. think about it... why would they discount a brand new thing that is already selling out in minutes??

now if you are thinking last gen like ryzen 5000 series or intel 12000 series, then you'll probably get a good discount on mobo's and such. would be worth waiting just to see. same with the older gpu's. they'll discount a bit but the newest gen won't. maybe they'll offer some freebies or combo deal but that's all i expect.

but don't expect to save 50% or any such thing. that's just not gonna happen. but saving a couple hundred is in the cards if you go with last gen stuff. :)

Hey guys,

Been around 3-4 years since I built my current setup and id like to start fresh.

Is it worthwhile at this point to stick it out until the holidays or is that not as much of a thing anymore?

I would NOT count on any specific part I wanted to be on a significant sale.

Too much speculation involved. You'd be needing some luck.

If you are willing to substitute for a "similar" part...maybe. But not for a specific brand and model.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
maybe a small drop in price adjusting for intel, but i doubt mobo's and ram is going to come down as much. be nice but i'm not holding my breath. still too early in the generation for anything significant to happen.

usually when folks ask about possible sales, they tend to mean "can i build a $3000 pc for $1200 if i wait 2 weeks?" and that's just never gonna happen.

Oasis Curator

Reputable
Apr 9, 2019
I didn't bother.

Ordered my parts yesterday.

I bought some things from amazon so could always send it back within 30 days and get the lower price. But I don't think they'll see much in the way of price reductions, especially as the other user said... if you need very specific parts then it'll be a slog to see if any of them go on sale.

Wait for black Friday, then wait for Christmas, then wait for the locked 13th gen stuff... at this rate, it could be February / March next year before you buy.

I didn't bother.

Ordered my parts yesterday.

I bought some things from amazon so could always send it back within 30 days and get the lower price. But I don't think they'll see much in the way of price reductions, especially as the other user said... if you need very specific parts then it'll be a slog to see if any of them go on sale.

Wait for black Friday, then wait for Christmas, then wait for the locked 13th gen stuff... at this rate, it could be February / March next year before you buy.
So what did you order and what will be the primary purpose of your build?

Oasis Curator

Reputable
Apr 9, 2019
So what did you order and what will be the primary purpose of your build?
https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/LDCk78

Although the motherboard has already gone down by £7 😕 and fan by £3. Yet to be dispatched (from amazon) so may have cancelled and reordered from the cheaper place, where I also get 2% cashback.

Purpose is a bit of gaming (nothing big, just Planet Zoo mainly these days), dabbling in SD to HD potentially 4k video converting and general browsing.

I don't really upgrade computers but just rebuild every 4/5 years so this will last me.

Last edited:
Reactions: Why_Me

logainofhades

Titan
I would have made the step up to 13th gen and DDR5, at this point. An RX 6800xt would have been faster, and cheaper.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-13600K 3.5 GHz 14-Core Processor (£361.95 @ Technextday)
CPU Cooler: Deepcool AK620 68.99 CFM CPU Cooler (£65.47 @ Scan.co.uk)
Motherboard: MSI PRO Z690-A ATX LGA1700 Motherboard (£209.49 @ Box Limited)
Memory: Kingston FURY Beast 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-5200 CL36 Memory (£159.34 @ CCL Computers)
Storage: KIOXIA EXCERIA G2 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive (£64.98 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: Gigabyte GV-R68XTGAMING OC-16GD Radeon RX 6800 XT 16 GB Video Card (£605.99 @ Newegg UK)
Case: NZXT H510 Flow ATX Mid Tower Case (£82.99 @ Box Limited)
Power Supply: Corsair RM850 (2019) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (£99.98 @ Scan.co.uk)
Total: £1650.19
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-10-25 09:05 BST+0100

TRENDING THREADS