Goodbye 1156 and 1366.

andy5174

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009

Who cares! I always get a new MB in every upgrade.

Huh. So AMD switches to AM3 thats 2 pins less than AM2/2+, provides a new chipset and platform and its compatable but Intel does the same and its not?

The 6 series is expected for Sandy Bridge. Remember 3 was core C2D/C2Q 65nm, 4 was for C2d/C2Q 45nm, 5 was for Nehalem so 6 is for Sandy Bridge.

BTW, Toms missed it but Sandy Bridge will also be out for LGA1365. Less pins is fine. If they had more that would be a different story.

Thats the best thing to do. Thos people on a older AM2 mobo with a Phenom II will hit a bad bottleneck pretty soon.

I am all for a upgrade path for say 3 years but after that the mobo gets so old and the tech on it is so slow, its not worth it to not get a new mobo.

someguy7

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
AMD changed the pin count but they have also had drop in replacements since the socket 939 ddr1 chips. With Intel's record I do not believe any current boards will run sandybridge period. I am sticking with that until is confirmed. Since Intel is about to ship out samples of the chips we shall find out soon.

And there is no need to switch out motherboards for every new build. Especially when the boards cost about the same price as the friggin cpus. Well there is if its a Intel build. You usually have to. I will use my self for example. PCI 2.0, usb3,sata3,sata6 and countless other stuff I have no use for.

Those people with the AM2 board will hit bad bottleneck soon? Maybe they will. But look how long they have the board for. It saved alot of money from switching boards all the time for a upgrade.

Couldnt agree more, theres nothing i hate more then seeing peoples rigs like high end system components mixed with rubbish that makes the whole rig slow and unstable and just uber rubbish - NEW RIG NEW COMPONENTS - its why my rigs work 100%, and idiots rigs have issues.

Userremoved

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2010
Well you people have been saying that for moths i think ones AMD releases the 6 cores (Thuban, Bulldozer) Intel will wake and do a couple of budget CPUs. Anyways what does it change 1156 has bandwidth issues. Thank god AMD is budget friendly. Seriously WTF is up with INTELÉ

Humble, aren't we? I used to be one of your so-called "idiots". With an attitude like that, I bet plenty of people ask for help from you... *thinly veiled sarcasm*

ElMoIsEviL

Distinguished
Why would I switch to AMD over this?

Socket 478 lasted a long time (as did LGA 775).

And for AMD Socket 754 and the first 940 (Athlon64 FX-5x series) had a very short lifespan... I should know... I had a socket 940.

So you can pick and choose examples from either company for both longevity and short lifespans.

So in the end... either company will, at one time or another, switch sockets. I'm used to it (been doing this for decades).

Peace.

Ever seen a Q6600 put in a crap case with 2x2gb PC8500 DDR2 and a 512mb PC5300 stick of ram with it? IDIOTS DO THAT - its so stupid so excuse me if it bugs me when someone ruins there system doing something so stupid, if you do that kind of thing too, you sir are an idiot.

People who who've never been told better do stuff like that. That's why they visit these forums: to get help, not to be told how stupid they are.

Not so true

Prescotts were short lived for 478 and required all new boards, as did the C class P4's (Northwood C) to get the full speed etc, LGA 775 worked with P4's, then Pentium D's required new motherboards, then Core2's the same, then Core 2 (45nm gen etc) required new boards again etc (with exceptions everywhere ofcourse).

AMD's 754 came and went, 940 was just rubbish, 939 didnt last too long, AM2 finally showed some sort of life span it seems but still replaced by AM2+ (atleast some sort of compatibility back/foreward etc) and now AM3 hopefully will last... but with 8 core etc get the feeling that will change soon too perhaps...

Conclusion: NO REAL UPGRADE "PATH" - ITS A MYTH

You buy your CPU and Motherboard together when upgrading, but thats nothing new, iv done that every time, i never bother with CPU upgrades, i usually keep a rig for ~3 years and replace the lot with the exception of the odd video card, hdd or ram etc, using old crap in a new build is just wrong.

ElMoIsEviL

Distinguished

Northwood, Northwood B and Northwood C and the first Prescott all on socket 478 (albeit Northwood C used an 800MHz FSB which, if you only had a measly little i845 based board, you were SoL but I had a Granite Bay board which functioned at 800MHz).

Socket 775.. I had the Asus P5W-DH Deluxe worked with Prescott and Core 2s.

In my opinion buying a cheap board and then complaining that there is no upgrade path doesn't count.

As for AMD... well they stuck on Socket 7 for a little longer (although some of their CPUs needed a Super Socket 7 capable motherboard). Socket 462 also lasted quite a while (From K7 Thunderbird to Barton but with various chipsets along the way and various FSB speeds).

Both companies have offered decent upgrade paths at times and little to no upgrade paths other times.

noob2222

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007

Thats because with Intel, you have no choice.

You think thier 2B/quarter comes from CPU only sales? Comes from forcing thier fanboys to buy more than they have to just to get a new CPU.

Chad Boga

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2009

In your desire to slag off Intel, you have confused yourself over how few people actually just do CPU upgrades, as opposed to CPU/motherboard upgrades, irrespective if there is an upgrade path a user could have taken.

Enthusiast forums like this one are not an accurate reflection of the wider market and especially amongst the AMD users on such a forum, they upgraded their CPU's in mass, because they were so ashamed of Phenom and wanted to purge their systems of that rot, for a better performing Phenom II.

noob2222

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007

Does it really matter how many people upgrace thier cpu only when 80+% of the market is owned by Intel who forces those to buy a new MB? It doesn't change the fact that you HAVE TO BUY A NEW INTEL BOARD.

Stick to facts instead of your own bantering about how smart you think you are because quite frankly I don't care. The only thing your good at is throwing around big words that are maningless with no proof of your own countenance.

If you had a 790FX board would you really consider buying a new MB when you purchase a new AMD cpu, including bulldozer? ya, 890FX will be out by then, but the performance difference from 790x to 890gx was 0.65%, would you really upgrade for that?

Better yet, would you upgrade your x58 board when you purchase a sandy bridge processor from Intel... oh wait, you don't have a choice.

someguy7

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007

This is rubbish. Anybody that does a cpu or motherboard upgrade is a enthusiast as far as I am concerned. How few people that actually do just cpu upgrades is a direct result of not having the option to do just that.

The mass market buys hp/dells/macs.

The AMD users upgraded because it was a very affordable upgrade. Just the price of the chip. No new board. No new ram required. And the performance increase was substantial. Remember all the systems built around the x2 6000/6400/5000 black edition with DDR2 800. I suppose all those people that popped a Phenom II into the machines are ashamed somehow.

Chad Boga

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2009

The only time I considered ever upgrading was with Socket 939, but AMD stopped making Dual Cores for it available, when I wanted to upgrade, so I just stuck it out with my AMD 3000+ for longer than originally planned.

However with my current i7 860, I can't see myself wanting to upgrade until the whole platform and CPU becomes so compelling, so for me, that will be not at least for 3 more years.

But my main point was that it is nice if as an enthusiast you get "something for nothing", but the economics of the industry are such, that it seems a bit churlish to be getting cranky when the mainstream will be accommodated as a priority.

Chad Boga

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2009

I recall how many people on XS upgraded within the first week of the PhII's release, and most of those had the original Phleanoms.

When I asked why didn't they at least wait a month or two so that they avoided the "early adopter tax", they either didn't answer or gave an answer which made no sense.

Clearly they were sick of the Intel fanboys laughing at their terrible CPU choice and wanted to be free of ridicule.