Google Animations Show Features of Chrome OS

Status
Not open for further replies.

reggieray

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2010
I don't trust Google who has been in bed with the Obama administration or any other corporation to control all my computer to this extent. I do think this computer (unless Google locks it out) will be highly compatible with Ubuntu or quickly will be. Running Ubuntu on it has me intrigued. The notebook looks like a Black Macbook Pro of sorts, oversized track pad and the F-keys look almost identical also the chick-let keyboard and lid open thumb spot too.
If priced right and Ubuntu is proved on it I will probably get one if they keep this design.

mrmoo500

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2010
All I have to say is that the chrometop/laptop better be super cheap for anyone to buy one. Who would pay more than $300 to have a laptop that only surfs the web? I know I wouldn't.

Ragnar-Kon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
For some reason I have a feeling this Chrome OS thing is gonna fail.

Actually, let me rephrase that statement (since I thought iPad was going to bomb as well and it didn't):

I'm not gonna buy it.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
Chrome OS looks alright, i'll definitely try it but not as a permanent OS.
I'm just curious to see how it will work, i need to know first hand.

Last time i said this i was thumb'd down heaps! These are just my opinions.

tsnorquist

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009
I could see Chrome OS being handy on things like: Kitchen Appliances, TVs, Cars.

I'll stick to a normal personal computer which requires an extra 1minute of life to boot up.

septentriones

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
I recently tried Chromium OS and it was pretty slow. Of course I was running a live usb but my Ubuntu 10.10 live is faster once it gets loaded. My hardware might not be fully supported though. Hopefully they will improve their final product. I can see many light computer users buying this for speed (if it works out) and because most things they do are in the cloud and it might allow them to circumvent a pricier windows solution or (to them) unfamiliar linux in favor of something that works like google chrome. It's not really my cup of tea but I can see some enjoying it.

bejabbers

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2009
Why the hell would anyone want a computer that requires an internet connection to function? What if you're on a trip and want to watch a movie, or out of internet or cell phone range? I'll stick to my non-cloud based computing, thanks. Besides, my netbook which runs ubuntu boots in less than 10 seconds too.

G

Thanks, but no thanks. I do sooo much more with my PC then surf the web. So Micro$oft, take notice. If Win 8 is a clouded OS, then back to Linux for me.

Most people I know use their laptops to browse the web, and do some word processing. Many of them don't know the differences between a computer and the internet. If for some reason they cannot get to a site or their internet goes down I hear “my computer is not working.”
I think Google has a chance with users describe above. Readers here at TH might be reluctant to by an internet device.
Even though I understand where Google is going with this, I do a lot more with my PC (e.g. video & photo editing, publishing, gaming, etc) than just browse the web.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
it's nice and probably fast...but it only depends on your ISP. why on earth would you want to use the web as your main storage for your docs and files?

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
I don't trust Google who has been in bed with the Obama administration or any other corporation to control all my computer to this extent.

You forgot you aluminum foil hat. So I guess if it was Palin in the White House, then all would be fine to use ChromeOS?

jgutz2006

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2009
I can see this as a good mate with a real laptop, now while at the airport you can fire up chrome to check and update your email etc so as to not use up/drain your primary laptop battery, i see this all the time with netbooks as they can usually just slide the netbook in the same case with the laptop. Is it for me? i dont know as i would just purchase a Sony Z UltraPortable machine but i can definitely see the advantages of this over a "normal" worthless netbook

didymus03

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2009
I definitely see this as having potential to be big for people who do mostly just use web-based applications. Especially for those people who are already using many of Google's services. I can see myself having this as a second or 3rd OS on my notebook for when that's all I need to do. This is especially true as more powerful applications are developed in this format. I will hold off all actual judgement until I try it for myself.

septentriones

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
This is the chromium build I tried. It's not perfect but it gives a bit of an idea about how the chrome OS will turn out. http://chromeos.hexxeh.net/

rpgplayer

Distinguished
May 27, 2010
"Verizon will be providing the 3G services and there will be a free 100MB per month for two years"

um i'm pretty sure normal browsing exceeds 200mb/month. let alone the fact that if this is a "cloud" based OS and all the data on your computer is synced with google's network then you'll fast exceed that in just a couple of days.

sudeshc

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2009
I am excited, we ant any criminals or thieves to be worry that someone is or can take a look at it.
I would be w8ing for the public release and would love to use it as my primary OS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS