Google Announces New Nexus 7 and Nexus 10 Tablets

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
[citation][nom]IndignantSkeptic[/nom]It's great that technology is moving on but what is the purpose of such a high resolution screen on a tablet now?[/citation]

Look across the comments. The purpose is to get people who don't really understand what it means to go "HIGHER NUMBER IS BETTER SO AWESOME MUST BUY". Do you really think you're going to tell the difference between 1080 lines and 1600 lines on a screen that size? There are people who are satisfied with 1080p on a 20"+ screen. It seems like that processing power could better be used with a lower resolution to achieve more smoothing on the 1080p rather than trying to run 1600. It isn't that they can't make 10" 1600p screens, they just don't.

anonymous_user

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2010
[citation][nom]BigMack70[/nom]They put 1600p on a 10" device but can't seem to do it on a freaking 24" monitor at all and can't seem to do it on a 27"+ monitor without jacking up the price to $500+Drives me freaking insane... monitor manufacturers should be embarrassed.[/citation]
I think someone said that it has to do with the physical size of the screen. During manufacturing if the screen has too many bad pixels, they have to throw it away. So there is less material waste with smaller sized screens.

nieur

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2011
do these tabs have enough GPU power to render at 2560x1600? or high resolution is used only for showing still images?

sna

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2010
[citation][nom]chuckydb[/nom]No 3G/4G/LTE versions of the Nexus 10???Seems like a missed opportunity for some extra sales.[/citation]

use your mobile hone as hot spot wifi ... and save 100$ on the tablet.

every one have a mobile phone in his pocket.

sna

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2010
[citation][nom]nieur[/nom]do these tabs have enough GPU power to render at 2560x1600? or high resolution is used only for showing still images?[/citation]

yes this one has the new Mali T604 ... it has DX11 support as well.

sna

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2010
[citation][nom]ericburnby[/nom]Faster processor? If you're talking about an A5X it is, but GL Benchmarks show it's going to get beat easily by the A6X (unless Apple is lying about the 2X performance increase over the A5X).And where are the Apps to take advantage of this screen?Twice the RAM? When your OS is less efficient then you could use the extra RAM.Seriously, is there anyone left on Tom's who actually understands hardware anymore? How could a site filled with people discussing CPU & GPU architectures have devolved into a bunch of haters who judge products purely based on the name instead if the underlying tech?[/citation]

lol

1- This new CPU is next generation ARM A15 ... it is ALOT faster.

2- The GPU is T604 , and it is not only faster , it has DX11 support (older were DX9 only) . which makes them good for Windws games (in case I can install windows RT on them)

3- more Ram ? more ram means Multitasking .. opening twice the programs at the same time.

it seems that you are the idiot here lol

sna

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2010
[citation][nom]chuckydb[/nom]No 3G/4G/LTE versions of the Nexus 10???Seems like a missed opportunity for some extra sales.[/citation]

for 100$ less also. just use your mobile phone as wifi hot spot when you need to be connected.

who doesnt have a mobile phone ?

if you want SD wait for the samsung version of this Tablet but it will be around 500$

lpedraja2002

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007
[citation][nom]BigMack70[/nom]I don't know enough about the tech to know how all the manufacturing works, but I have a hard time believing it's more expensive to make bigger pixels than it is to make smaller pixels... I would think that would offset any lost materials costs.IMO it's just because the 1080p virus has gripped the entire TV and monitor industry... it's a freaking joke. 1080p was a high resolution 5 years ago. It's not anymore, yet 1440/1600p displays have come down very little in price in those 5 years while 1080p displays have had their prices fall through the floor.I don't know what the problem is with monitor manufacturers, but it pisses me off more than just about anything right now. Lazy monitor producers aren't going to see a dime from me until they produce something worth my money and stop overpricing everything. The only displays worth purchasing right now are the decent 24" TN panels around the $130-160 mark. Everything else (120 Hz displays, high resolution IPS displays) is IMO so artificially overpriced that it's not worth a dime.[/citation]

A while ago a person here posted a very detailed explanation about this, the guy claimed to be in the industry, the explanation was so detailed that I and I'm sure many others believed him. Basically the bigger the screen size is the more room for error they get and the more they have to trash panels that didn't meet expectations, apparently recycling them costs a ton of money. The smaller they are the more they get per production and even with faulty ones they still make a bigger profit.

G

With such a small screen, does that resolution even matter? I think not.

ikyung

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
The A6X and the Exynos 5250 won't have much differences in terms of benchmarks. They are both dual core ARM A15 architecture, they are both made from Samsung HKMG. The only real difference is that the A6X will use SGX543 GPU and Exynos 5250 will use the Mali T604 GPU.

Basically, it just comes down to cost.

Also, the reason Google isn't putting in LTE for their new Nexus devices is because of software. They want stock Android on their devices without the carriers putting in whatever they want to put in. Meaning, if they wanted to make their devices LTE compatible, they would have to put in a deal with the carriers offering LTE. Most likely you will see the new Nexus line offering LTE from Verizon, AT&T, etc. But it won't be for another 3-6months because it takes time for carriers to put in bloatware and change the stock Android to fit their needs.

notsleep

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2010
google has finally done it...they have ended apple's 'retina' dominance with the nexus 10. holy, mutha! 2560x1600 on 10" screen! that's absolutely blows everybody out of the water. without steve jobs, apple won't be able to respond to the nexus 10. :)

i'm kinda bummed at google though having bought my nexus 7 16 gb for $249. they also stubbed us with 4.1.2 android versus the 4.2 that ships with these new nexus products. :(

martel80

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006
Other than blowing everyone else in the industry out of the water, the 300dpi display is a waste of money/resources, in my opinion. What's the real benefit of that?

darkchazz

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2010
[citation][nom]ikyung[/nom]The A6X and the Exynos 5250 won't have much differences in terms of benchmarks. They are both dual core ARM A15 architecture, they are both made from Samsung HKMG. The only real difference is that the A6X will use SGX543 GPU and Exynos 5250 will use the Mali T604 GPU. Basically, it just comes down to cost. Also, the reason Google isn't putting in LTE for their new Nexus devices is because of software. They want stock Android on their devices without the carriers putting in whatever they want to put in. Meaning, if they wanted to make their devices LTE compatible, they would have to put in a deal with the carriers offering LTE. Most likely you will see the new Nexus line offering LTE from Verizon, AT&T, etc. But it won't be for another 3-6months because it takes time for carriers to put in bloatware and change the stock Android to fit their needs.[/citation]
The A6X is not A15, but a custom architecture like qualcomm's S4 chip.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
same gripe i have with thier new nexus 4 ... why only this pathetic amount of memory, i get that they want you to use the could but you onyl have access to the cloud if you have wifi ... sure you cna pay or unlock/jkailbreak your phone to allow hifi hotspot use but then you are usually on 3g speeds (3g only with the new nexus 4 if you decide to get both devices) and then you won't be able to stream anythign from the cloud... also when will people learn that16 gigs of storage does not cost $100 seriously like most manifacturers have convinced buyers that memory is some precious comodety that drives the cost of a pruduct up exponentially... meanwhile memory is cheaper than it has ever been in the past and the market is flooded with the stuff. looks liek a nice device overall btu the lack of onboard storage will prevent me from buyign it... i was hoping for at least 64 or 128 gigs of storage and if it had that a tthe $400-500 point i would have ordered one this morning

phate

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
Sigh, storage money grab.

How does 16gb of extra storage only cost $50 on the Nexus 7, but cost $100 on the Nexus 10.

georgekn3mp

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2009
The Nexus Media Importer also works to stream OTG from USB drives on a Nexus 10. Seriously, you can carry all your media on sticks and import it. I use it on my Nexus 10...and yeah you CAN tell the different in video when you play 2560x1600 video ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.