Google Apps Crawl Out of Beta Status, Finally

Status
Not open for further replies.

strandwolf

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2008
Yesterday all my GMAIL inbox mail, sent mail, saved drafts, and addresses flew the coop. Someone somehow phished them right out. 80,000 emails swiped. Heads up. I have the IP address of the culprit--in Green Bay WI of all places.

[citation][nom]strandwolf[/nom]Yesterday all my GMAIL inbox mail, sent mail, saved drafts, and addresses flew the coop. Someone somehow phished them right out. 80,000 emails swiped. Heads up. I have the IP address of the culprit--in Green Bay WI of all places.[/citation]
Ouch. lol

doomtomb

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
About time!! I just want to know what Google was thinking with all this beta crap. If it's been in beta for 5 years what is the point? They just dropped the beta tag because of the customers but that's not a good reason. You are supposed to drop beta and move to final when you actually achieve a new milestone which I think Google did a long time ago but they foolishly kept this beta sitting around.

hemelskonijn

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2008
I think the beta thing at first was a real good marketing strategy, i was one of the first in the netherlands to get an invite to gmail and i know i wanted it badly (mainly websites that might send loads of spam) and liked it enough to switch to it as my main email provider (beats the hell out of running my own mail server).

Up till the moment they dropped the need to get an invite i knew several people that really wanted gmail if only to find out what the buzz was all about and thus in a way it was a uber smart marketing move.
Keeping the beta this long might have been just another way to make some of the people using gmail feel like they belong to some elite group.
Its in my humble opinion the same as some tools never seem to leave beta stadium like for as far as i can remember firefox was stuck in 0.x for ages.

strandwolf

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2008
I expect Google stock shares to sink slowly in the mire. I live less than a mile from their campus and the area seems infested by zombies. The founders came out of Stanford yet somehow they made a point of hiring anyone coming off that farm for the legacy kiddies.... Bad, bad move, and now MicroSoft will fry their bacon.

randomizer

Champion
Now if there's a bug they can't use the "it's only beta" excuse. I remember getting an invite for Gmail. I used it for about a week and went back to Hotmail. I don't even know if my account still exists.

Netherscourge

Distinguished
May 26, 2009
I just saw on Good Morning America that Google is planning on releasing it's own OPERATING SYSTEM.

Is this true or just Diane Sawyer being a dumb blonde?

(no offense to dumb blondes)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS