Google ARCore 1.0 Now Available, Google Lens-Enabled Google Photos App Coming Soon

Status
Not open for further replies.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
The lack of ARCore support is a pretty big slap in the face to Lenovo (not to mention those of us who bought one), who was the first independent device maker to have a Tango phone on the market.

The Phab 2 Pro is not a particularly good phone, overall. It's main selling point was Tango support. So, only a year later, it's kind useless to most people who bought one. Thanks Google.

Feb 25, 2018
ARCore is OEM dependant because in order for it to work correctly the OEM needs to capture some calibration information. Stuff like the position of the camera relative to the position of the gyro on the phone. They also need to run tests on each individual device to get device specific calibration and store it on the device. All of this means that OEMs have to setup specific tests during manufacturing of the phones.

You can also use Torngat to customize your iPhone/iPad.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

I figured, but you'd think enough of that was required for Tango phones. I was actually hoping ARCore would even use the additional sensors on Tango phones.

I'm guessing it's more the fact that Phab 2 Pro used Snapdragon 652, and maybe that doesn't have enough CPU or GPU horespower.

Status
Not open for further replies.