Google Buys $1 Billion of Land in London, UK

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

phyco126

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
[citation][nom]wdmfiber[/nom]@Prescott_666 I'm not saying what you wrote it wrong. I liked it ...interesting. And I was already doing some rough calculations. But how can the Burj Khalifa(world's tallest building) at 163 floors ...cost 1.5 billion. That building is humongous! This future Google complex must be on a 24 acre lot. Or your: quote "insane waste of money" is the understatment of the decade![/citation]

Burj is easy - just use forced labor and pay dollars a day versus what skilled persons in developed nations earn. Seriously, look it up.

Not only that, but the $1 billion is for the land AND the building. Also, anyone who lives in a densely packed city knows that development is super expensive. I can go out in the country side and by 40 acres of land for $30,000 or less. But in my city, 1/4th of an acre goes for the same amount (and that's in an okay neighborhood in the suburbs - think hundreds of thousands for a plot that size in the uppity suburb areas). And in a downtown setting, god the cost would be insane. $5,000 per square foot for commercial space is a steal in some cities.

phyco126

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
[citation][nom]Prescott_666[/nom]They probably need a small office in London, which they should lease, and they should put the million square foot office building somewhere that land, and everything else, is a lot cheaper[/citation]

They are already leasing a place in London! In another article, Google said that the new headquarters are cheaper than leasing.

wdmfiber

Honorable
Dec 7, 2012
Ya, I guess I stand corrected. I've looked it up on other sites and the 2.4 acres doesn't appear to be a typo.

And costs can get out of control. The 1WTC Freedom Tower is estimated at 3.8 billion now and work started back in 2006! So maybe a bilion for a mini sky scrapper is ~approx right.

CrArC

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
[citation][nom]falchard[/nom]I was confused $1 billion for 2.4 acres. I was thinking, "Did Google buy the Garden in Buckingham Palace?"[/citation]Are you kidding? I thought $1 billion would net you a shed, these days. If you were lucky.

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
1B, 1M, just the land, land + buildings, finished value, bought, will buy, plan to buy, something like that...

At least the headline is 'clear'(ly nonsense)

that man

Honorable
Mar 27, 2012
The headline is completely correct. Seems THG commenters are too quick to dismiss coincidences as mistakes. You must be absolute pleasures to hang around with. $1B for the land. 1B Pounds for the land plus improvements. Yes, they both say 1B, but it isn't an error. And yes, 2.4 Acres is also not an error, that's just how much land in London costs. As far as declaring it a waste of money, this is Google were talking about. I trust their judgement far more than yours.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS