Google Buys Video Compression Company, On2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Honis

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
This is a stretch, but wouldn't be cool if Chrome OS got native video decoding support? Imagine a 1080p video being decoded on the OS level!

jeraldjunkmail

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2009
[citation][nom]Honis[/nom]This is a stretch, but wouldn't be cool if Chrome OS got native video decoding support? Imagine a 1080p video being decoded on the OS level![/citation]
Most likely answer, considering the limited processing power of netbooks. Adding compression for video into the OS and linking it to youtube would be the most likely scenario...

p05esto

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
Quick, go buy ONT stock! Dang, too bad no one tells me these things BEFORE the news hits. Damn it would be nice to have important friends instead of these stoners sitting next to me...

nachowarrior

Distinguished
May 28, 2007
i'll draw out my prediction for you as I seem to be better at predicting tech futures better than most PAID 'industry anylists'.

google owns youtube
youtube=largest online video site
youtube also depends on flash
youtube buys own video compression
youtube implements video compression they own
youtube= now profitable or closer to it.

does that sound okay? Well if it happens just let me know.
sounds good to me seeing as how flash video's tend to be processor heavy and need some reworking to run better on pocket sized pc's/phones.

This also seems like the right time to start the transition because google's android has quite a few hot devices coming out in q3 this year to q2 of next year, to be able to include a high performance streaming video on these pocket sized devices would surely put them on top for sales and promote a massive wave of community developed software for andriod. :p

but what the hell do i know? I'm only psychic

Status
Not open for further replies.