Google Chrome Uses Graphics Card to Accelerate SVG, CSS

Status
Not open for further replies.

kancaras

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
gpu accelerated software doesnt always work. if you already have cpu that doest everything in few ms, extra ms to load cross-platform drivers ruins whole thing.

kaisellgren

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2007
[citation][nom]amk-aka-phantom[/nom]Meanwhile, I still don't care, since the web isn't consumptive enough to even bother my CPU a little...[/citation]
I do. Let this page load fully, then try scrolling around in Chrome: http://eee.asus.com/eeepad/transformer-prime/features/

You will notice it lags (at least on my 4 GHz quad core), but in Firefox and IE it's fine, thanks to their GPU acceleration.

sissysue

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2011
[citation][nom]amk-aka-phantom[/nom]Meanwhile, I still don't care, since the web isn't consumptive enough to even bother my CPU a little...[/citation]
Google (in bed with Obama and the fascist left) along with other hidden powers (FEDS) plan on all of us using low power dumb terminal laptops/desktops and store all our files in the cloud so they have access to it. So this technology is being built for the future Amerika police state.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
I think it is an interesting concept; also it means now we also have to check on what GPU is available next to 'what browser' and version is being used.
Web programming could be more of a headache as a result.

txsouthpaw

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2011
[citation][nom]sissysue[/nom]Google (in bed with Obama and the fascist left) along with other hidden powers (FEDS) plan on all of us using low power dumb terminal laptops/desktops and store all our files in the cloud so they have access to it. So this technology is being built for the future Amerika police state.[/citation]
You're right. We should return to the benign imperial executive approach of the Bush / Cheney years. The Koch brothers and the GOP most assuredly have our best interests in mind and I'm quite sure American salvation lies just behind the election of another brain dead, supply-side cadre of neo-cons.

By the way, it's cool to see the GPU handling more of the browser workload, but I wonder why Google seems to be behind the curve here.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]kaisellgren[/nom]I do. Let this page load fully, then try scrolling around in Chrome: http://eee.asus.com/eeepad/transformer-prime/features/You will notice it lags (at least on my 4 GHz quad core), but in Firefox and IE it's fine, thanks to their GPU acceleration.[/citation]
good point, however is that really slow because the cpu cant take it or bad coding? because it seams to take control of my mouse wheel, and only lets it move a certain amount each scroll, about 1 line and hard instead of 2 lines smooth.

here is a better thought.

by off loading code that can be handled better by the gpu apposed to using it only in the cpu, it takes a load of the cpu... lets say once core on the cpu was getting hammered to maxing out almost. putting that same code on the gpu, well, its now frees up the cpu, and the gpu only has a 2-10% load.

this makes browsing the web on a laptop more power efficient also.

G

Still waiting for Crysis Ultra settings with Stereo 3D within Browser !

nottheking

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
GPU acceleration for CSS and SVG? Opera had this back in, oh, early 2010? (it was introduced with their "Vega" rendering platform, in 10.50, IIRC) Welcome to the party, Chrome... Only some two years late. And this is only in a nightly build (alpha, basically) rather than a full release roll-out.

G

I made a CSS 3D test that kills Chrome on 1920x1080, so I welcome the updates! - http://michaelkc.com/mosaic/

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS