google chrome very slow opening pages after 8.1 upgrade

TonyMontreal

Honorable
Oct 31, 2013
Everything has become very slow after upgrade from Windows 8 pro to 8.1 pro. Google Chrome used to snap open and now there is a lag for about 6 to 8 seconds. There is also a lag after sign in. There are other lags also, but those are the most significant ones. I don't have the other problems with shut down and power on, it is the same as before. I removed hibernate from command prompt. I cloned my hard drive before upgrading and am debating going back unless there is a solution, does anyone have one?

TonyMontreal

Honorable
Oct 31, 2013
Hi, thx for the quick reply. Everything is updated (hardware and software) and I don't have any extensions.
Re-installed Chrome, nothing changed.
From my original post, 6-8 seconds was a guess, when I timed it, it was actually about 16 seconds.
I updated to 8.1 almost a week ago, checking everyday for updates. Finally yesterday a Windows optional update showed up which I believe repaired the problem. It was the Nvidia Graphics Adapter WDDM1.1... Now Chrome takes 3 seconds, when there, everything snaps open.

WCarp

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2009

WCarp

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2009
After upgrading from Windows 8 to 8.1 I'm having slow load times for all browsers and for Outlook 2010 too. I've tried various things to resolve the issue but so far, nothing has helped.

I posted this issue on the Microsoft Windows 8 Forum but Microsoft hasn't responded with anything that helped.

TonyMontreal

Honorable
Oct 31, 2013

KE5WL

Reputable
Apr 18, 2014

I found the solution on my setup to be:
in Google Chrome go to settings page,
then open advanced settings on the bottom of that page,
go down to the bottom of that page to the 'System' section and
Uncheck the selection for 'use hardware acceleration when available'.

I know it sounds crazy to uncheck something to make it work, who would think...

TDogNite

Reputable
Aug 18, 2014
I was having similar issues with slow browser speeds. Lots of hanging and error messages. I tried all sorts of fixes: Drivers;DNS flush;registry tweaks;etc. After no improvement,I decided to uninstall my wifi router,even though it was working fine on all other devices.I then reinstalled it, with the disk, on the windows 8 laptop. I tethered the router to the laptop with an ethernet cable during the install.Changed the name and basically set up a new wifi network. I don't know why but this has solved all of my browser issues. I suspect there was something in one of the windows updates that caused my laptop not to communicate properly with the wifi router.Since the fresh install all is as good or better than before this issue arose. Hope this can help some of you. Let me know.

Saul Annett

Reputable
Oct 22, 2014
Disable hardware acceleration in the chrome settings. also worked for me. thanks for the suggestion

Michelle L

Reputable
Oct 24, 2014
This helped me. I'm not sure if it's as fast as before Windows forced the 8.1 "upgrade" on me but it's definitely not as slow. I hope it helps.

<<This is Toni from Microsoft Customer Service.

-Please press the Windows key and the letter W. This will open the Settings Search.
-On the Settings Search field, please type Control Panel and open the Control Panel interface on the left panel.
-On the Control Panel, please choose the Network and Sharing Center option. If you do not see the Network and Sharing Center on the list, you may need to click on Network and Internet first.
-Please click on the Change Adapter Settings option on the left panel of the Network and Sharing Center window. This will open the Network Connections window.
-Please right click on your active network connection and choose Properties.
-On the Networking Tab, please highlight the option for Internet Protocol Version 4 on the list and click on the Properties button.
-On the General tab of the Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) Properties window, choose the option for Use the following DNS server addresses and set the Preferred DNS server as 8.8.8.8 and the Alternate DNS server as 8.8.4.4
-Click on OK and Close.
-After setting up the global DNS settings, please check if you can now open websites in Internet Explorer.>>

roblanza

Reputable
Oct 31, 2014

Thanks! It works!

jafanello

Honorable
Jan 11, 2015
Hi, in my case disabling the hardware acceleration from chrome advanced settings improved a lot performances. Maybe give it a try. Lots of people is dealing with this issue and many say they solved in this way.
I hope it will help.

Cheers

LPO

Reputable
Jan 19, 2015
I had problems with google chrome in win 8.1
I did uninstall chrome and all components
and I search in explorer for chrome, deleted the most of the chrome files, did go to chrome download page and downloaded chrome 64 bit in other platforms win 8.1/8/7/ 64 bit and now it works perfectly just as fast as internet explorer ;-)

I hope this will work for you
best regards
Leif