Google Dev: We Are Making Chrome Out of Kindness to Web

Status
Not open for further replies.

jujuvivi

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008
the primary goal of Chrome is to make the web advance as much and as quickly as possible.
Indeed.
1997: IE 4: DHTML & close to full CSS 2 & HTML 4
1998: IE 5: AJAX - better CSS/HTML

2001: IE 6: a little better
2006: IE 7: A little better
2009: IE 8: A little better

2011: IE 9: HTML 5, SVG, Performance, Full www compatibility...

In 10 years, between 1998 and 2009, Microsoft barely worked on IE.
It's only after other browsers catch up that they finally went back on it.

google developing chrome it out of kindness to the web? what bullshit!
google does, has always done and will always do everything for its own welfare. they're developing chrome for -
better data mining,
more ad revenues,
gateway software to google's own ecosystem (e.g. gmail, google earth, google+, chrome os etc),
above all, MONEY, POWER and consequently....WORLD DOMINAAAAAAAYSHUN (aka future skynet/matrix/facebook).
the bit about mozilla and anti trust is right. google should keep injecting money into mozilla and i can enjoy using firefox. :D

blurr91

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2004
google developing chrome it out of kindness to the web?

That's like saying banks lend us money out of the goodness of their hearts.

Google is a business. It runs on profit motive. It's run by the same greedy bastards that run the banks, labor unions, and our governments.

dstigue

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
We all need an overload and we vote more with our browser choice then our wallets these days! Well with google wallet it's all the same thing.. And android... Well I'm getting ahead of myself... But if I have to pick an overload it's google for now. May change my mind when facebook branches out a bit.

mickey21

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
I am not naive but some are missing the point, Google does a lot of what it does to make money and I believe there is likely some truth to the statement that they develop Chrome to better the internet. Yeah I can buy that, IE and Firefox need another browser to keep them on their toes. And Chrome has done that job very well. But of course the end result of all of this will likely lead to more profits. It like the truth wrapped up in a white lie. It isnt really a lie, but kudos for them to say the truth and it lead to what they also want.

G

dstigue: a web browser designed by facebook. omg. dear god no.

jl0329

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2008
"google developing chrome it out of kindness to the web"

My eyes are filled with tears.... Google defines humanity. All hail Google! Long live Google!

/s

perspective

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2011
Google has never asked me for money. I don't pay to use their browser. Sometimes I dabble in AdSense, but my taxes aren't paying their salaries. Who gets paid with my taxes? Oh, that's right, elected officials. If anything, Google has made more progress toward revolutionizing the internet than our respective governments have done at ameliorating our social and economic predicaments. Until Goggle betrays my trust, I'll continue to applaud them for their "humanitarian" efforts.

Aoster87

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2008
What the hell is wrong with the grammar and some of the language in here? Doesn't sound like "the authority on tech" material.

zybch

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
[citation][nom]perspective[/nom]Until Goggle betrays my trust, I'll continue to applaud them for their "humanitarian" efforts.[/citation]
You are totally blind if you believe they haven't already done this many times.
Google are about one thing and one thing only, profit.
As soon as fools like you get it through their thick heads that google isn't a search or mapping or mail company and are actually just an advertising corporation the sooner you'll see how they do NOTHING if it doesn't directly lead them to more profits.
Google is an advertiser, none of its 'free' products are designed to do anything more than drive advertising traffic.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]Aoster87[/nom]What the hell is wrong with the grammar and some of the language in here? Doesn't sound like "the authority on tech" material.[/citation]
who cares....

G

Chrome has been great for the web though. Just look at how much it pushes innovation not just it's own but Mozilla's and Microsoft's too. We'd probably still be on Firefox 3.6 and IE 8 if not for Chrome forcing the competition. Especially on the UI front. Try and picture what IE or FF would look like today without having Chrome around.

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
[citation][nom]stm1185[/nom]Chrome has been great for the web though. Just look at how much it pushes innovation not just it's own but Mozilla's and Microsoft's too. We'd probably still be on Firefox 3.6 and IE 8 if not for Chrome forcing the competition. Especially on the UI front. Try and picture what IE or FF would look like today without having Chrome around.[/citation]

Actually, what they all do is wait for Opera to create the newest thing that people want, and copy it. So, sorry, it's not Chrome that's pushing the market, it's Opera.

kronos_cornelius

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
To me, it is clear that Google developed Chrome because they were not sure browsers at the time would have the performance needed for their Cloud strategy (Google docs mostly at the time). So they started to work on it.

The chrome books also enter into this idea of a browser that should make you think an off-line Windows environment as an old fashion concept.

In that direction, they have innovated many things (speed most notably). Since both Firefox and Chrome are open source, and a good browser is a means to an end, I do believe Kasting that any browser that delivers Chrome's features is good enough for Google (does not have to be THE CHROME browser). But I don't think Google's actions in this regard are a donation.

livebriand

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
I refuse to use Chrome because Google includes it with other installers like malware, and advertise it like hell (no wonder why they have a bunch of market share, and plenty of people who use it likely don't know how they got it). These are both things that Firefox doesn't do. Therefore, I'm sticking with firefox (it also has better addons, who cares if it's a tad slower).

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]jujuvivi[/nom]Indeed.1997: IE 4: DHTML & close to full CSS 2 & HTML 41998: IE 5: AJAX - better CSS/HTML2001: IE 6: a little better2006: IE 7: A little better2009: IE 8: A little better2011: IE 9: HTML 5, SVG, Performance, Full www compatibility...In 10 years, between 1998 and 2009, Microsoft barely worked on IE.It's only after other browsers catch up that they finally went back on it.[/citation]

catch up?
The moment that Firefox came out the only reason the home user should never use Internet Explorer was in case something doesn't work in Firefox, and from my memory, there wasn't much that didn't work in Firefox ever… I think the one thing that actually work better Internet explorer than Firefox was flash, that just might be I was always tab Hedy and opening one instance of Internet Explorer verses a 50 tabs Firefox was a big difference.

[citation][nom]zybch[/nom]You are totally blind if you believe they haven't already done this many times.Google are about one thing and one thing only, profit.As soon as fools like you get it through their thick heads that google isn't a search or mapping or mail company and are actually just an advertising corporation the sooner you'll see how they do NOTHING if it doesn't directly lead them to more profits.Google is an advertiser, none of its 'free' products are designed to do anything more than drive advertising traffic.[/citation]

And your point being?

They make money by showing me a small lad on the right-hand side whenever I do a search, the first two links are as and they are clearly labeled with a different color, Gmail looks for buzzwords and puts a small ticker on it.

only people really give a crap? calipers are being advertised to at most one don't give a crap, they might care about spam mail but Google doesn't do that to my knowledge. Tell me the evils of Google by giving me free products by putting a small advertisement in, then show me Microsoft's price on these products Google offers free. Last time I looked up Microsoft Office with over $300, granted that was years ago, but the point stands, if Google develops their document software and actually compete with Microsoft on a even playing field what I'd rather use, the person who makes me pay $300 for the software, or Google who currently has no advertisements at all their documents, and is still giving it away for free.

[citation][nom]stm1185[/nom]Chrome has been great for the web though. Just look at how much it pushes innovation not just it's own but Mozilla's and Microsoft's too. We'd probably still be on Firefox 3.6 and IE 8 if not for Chrome forcing the competition. Especially on the UI front. Try and picture what IE or FF would look like today without having Chrome around.[/citation]

I have to get extensions to make Firefox look like it used to. I despise the minimalist look.for chrome it works but everyone is trying to copy that looks that I hate so much.

If I want my browser to be minimalist I get an extension for that.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]JOSHSKORN[/nom]Maybe they could make a 64-bit browser...out of kindness, of course.[/citation]
they don't really need to, each chrome browser has its own instance, the reason for 64-bit is mostly a RAM thing, and they never really are a push RAM to limit unless they bring every chrome browser together one place

currently there are 25 different instances in my task manager of chrome right now if they brought all that together yeah they would need to go 64-bit

G

For anyone who wants to make Firefox 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10... look like 3.x, head over to http://fastestfox.wordpress.com/ There are some excellent tips there. I wish Firefox change their color patterns. The gray one looks so old now.

Status
Not open for further replies.