[SOLVED] Google Drive space issue

Jul 13, 2022
Hey everyone. I am currently transferring data from my backup drive to my Shared Drive in Google Drive. I have unlimited space on my Shared Drive, however I am getting an error message when transferring my data. I am getting an error stating I do not have enough space for my data transfer. Also, when transferring data to the Shared Drive, my My Drive is filling up. It seems that my My Drive is using the same space as my Shared Drive but they are suppose to separate. I am using stream and not mirror. I only have 150GB left on my My Drive but I need to transfer 1TB worth of data. My Shared Drive currently has about 2TB in it . Why am I being prevented from copying over the rest of the data at once? Why is My Drive space and Shared Drives space depended on each other's space when My Drive and Shared Drives are separated?

Sorry if there is any confusion.

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Colif

Win 11 Master
how do you have drive set up in options?
is it set to mirrored or streaming?

With mirroring, your files are stored in the cloud and on your computer, which takes up hard drive space. You can access your files at any time, even when you don’t have an internet connection or the Drive for desktop app running. You can access files through a folder on your computer.

With streaming, your files are stored in the cloud. Hard drive space is only used when you open files or make them available offline. Files that are not available offline can only be accessed when you’re connected to the internet. All files, including those available offline, can be accessed only when the app is running. You can access files through a mounted drive on your computer.

https://support.google.com/drive/answer/10838124?hl=en

Not sure if that is cause but maybe.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
I am not aware of any unlimited space option within Google Drive. IF you aren't paying for space as an extra add on, it only has 15GB of space which is actually shared across several Google products, such as Gmail. There are tiers of cost to storage there. A 2TB plan is $9.99 a month or $99.99 a year.

Jul 13, 2022
I am not aware of any unlimited space option within Google Drive. IF you aren't paying for space as an extra add on, it only has 15GB of space which is actually shared across several Google products, such as Gmail. There are tiers of cost to storage there. A 2TB plan is $9.99 a month or $99.99 a year.

I have education edition. I get unlimited space or drives. However I still get 400,000 item cap (files and folders).

Jul 13, 2022
how do you have drive set up in options?
is it set to mirrored or streaming?

With mirroring, your files are stored in the cloud and on your computer, which takes up hard drive space. You can access your files at any time, even when you don’t have an internet connection or the Drive for desktop app running. You can access files through a folder on your computer.

With streaming, your files are stored in the cloud. Hard drive space is only used when you open files or make them available offline. Files that are not available offline can only be accessed when you’re connected to the internet. All files, including those available offline, can be accessed only when the app is running. You can access files through a mounted drive on your computer.

https://support.google.com/drive/answer/10838124?hl=en

Not sure if that is cause but maybe.
I am using stream, not mirroring.

Jul 13, 2022
Gotcha, I was not aware of said. Thanks for the clarity. I hope you can get your issue sorted.
Thanks. I actually found out what it was. It was cache. When you upload to the shared drive, Google Drive will bog down your drive with sync cache. I cannot delete the cache until the upload is done or risk losing data. I will need to redirect the cache to a bigger drive so it will continue to upload without error.

Reactions: Colif

TRENDING THREADS