Google Explains Lack of SD Card Support For Nexus Devices

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

that's not big deal. and it's a good decision. now we can still backup our content in cloud storage like dropbox, icloud from apple, or something like that.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]Kamab[/nom]SD cards (especially cheap ones) can lie about their rated performance.[/citation]

That's your fault for not buying from a reputable brand and retailer (not off eBay or Craigslist).

G

to be honest, I just realized it's a good thing. what Matias say it is so bad in fact. and google is always open from every issue of the product makes me really like this company.

G

Ugh. Makes me sad. iPad 4 has it...but Nexus 10 does not...bad move.

G

what a joke. people buying a nexus device know what they're doing or they wouldn't be buying one. more importantly: they do this so they can charge you more for storage: how much would an 8gb microSD card cost for your 8gb nexus 4? $10? how much does google charge for an extra 8gb (16gb version)? $50. apple does the same thing. $100/16GB. ridiculous. you can get a 64GB MicroSDHC card rated Class 10 or U1 for $75 or less. it's a profit play. nothing more.

G

sadly it's Matias Duarte who's leftover from the paleolithic era of computing :s
i could expect that kind of lame excuse from apple but never from google! very disappointing!

G

Not a "prehistoric phone", sure.
Now he should explain why this "futuristic phone" doesn't feature LTE support...

johnt6421

Honorable
Dec 31, 2012
webbwbb 11/02/2012 3:47 AM

It seems a better approach would be to get rid of user-accessable internal storage and make each device come with an SD card so you don't have to worry about the locations of files but you have the freedom to upgrade.

- SIMPLY BRILLIANT, Webb.

I am completely serious ,, COMPLETELY..

Knucklhead Matias Duarte , GONE, Out, 86'd!!

Webb would be dealing with my Consumers!!!

Seriously, if Matias believes that.. what a BoneHead.

John T.

_________

johnt6421

Honorable
Dec 31, 2012
webbwbb 11/02/2012 3:47 AM

It seems a better approach would be to get rid of user-accessable internal storage and make each device come with an SD card so you don't have to worry about the locations of files but you have the freedom to upgrade.

- SIMPLY BRILLIANT, Webb.

I am completely serious ,, COMPLETELY..

Knucklhead Matias Duarte , GONE, Out, 86'd!!

Webb would be dealing with my Consumers!!!

Seriously, if Matias believes that.. what a BoneHead.

John T.

_________

G

They could treat the card and flash as a single device using ZFS or Btrfs. To upgrade cards, you plug the device into a computer, backup, swap cards, restore. It's the user's fault if they use a class 2 card, and the device could even benchmark the card and let the user know.

G

Has Google forgot how to google... WTF "How to use SD CARD"
-
I really appreciate being able to take pictures with my phone and then just plugging the card into my TV.
What about sharing with others? BT is nice but really slow for more then one picture.
What is so hard about creating a /mnt/sdcard folder? Have people really become this stupid.
-
Would it not cut costs by offering only one size of memory with SD Card?
How thin must phones get before people say enough?
-
The only android I own is the Transformer and Android is allot more fun with USB, HDMI, and an SD Card Slot. While we are at it how come the phone gets a barometer but no thermometer? And would it be so difficult to add an IR diode and FM Transmitter. My 8yo Nokia has all of this and more and still works like a Swiss clock and cost me less then $300. I really had higher hopes from Google. Must be nice to live in a location where data service is always available and rich enough to take advantage of it! No thanks Google I will keep looking.

G

Google in order to implement their new policies of to avoid "techy nonsense left over from the paleolithic era of computing"

They will be removing all the external storage from their servers, especially those pesky mechanical hard drives.

Matias Duarte, you are an idiot !
Please note that this is a very charitable characterization, but let's move on,
And whoever hired you is an idiot.

G

It seems Google believes that if you organize your coin, notes, credit cards etc. into your preferred slots in your wallet, you would be confusing the hell out of yourselves! Google decided that the problem is you and the only way to "help" you is by offering you wallets with no slots! Good try, Google!

Light travels faster than sound; some people appear smart until they open their mouth!

G

You guys are forgetting the fact that all the comments made here are from smart users. We are maybe .001% of android users. Do you guys really think that cutting cost on one of their several products/services is gona do any good for them? Google ain't stupid like that. and NO i am not happy about the fact that there is no SD card ... I am actually pissed. However, Google knows shit more than us... most of us.

G

What a bunch of bullshit... If they only came up with a bit better excuse for extorting users by selling them extra storage several times more expensive than if they bought an SD card... But most people are letting them do it, that's the saddest part.

nicedread303

Honorable
May 23, 2012
Wow that is funny stuff right there. Being a UX Design person myself I call BULLSHIT on this one. Users who SD cards confuse would simply not use an SD card. People who use UX as an excuse to avoid functionality are called Developers not designers. You want to make using an SD card as seamless as using phone memory by properly coding a space management system based on data collected about how people leverage extra SD space. You don't just say "people are confused" when you say that what you really mean is "WE AS PROFESSIONAL SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS CANNOT THINK OF A WAY TO MAKE THIS LESS CONFUSING". I guess when Jobs died he took Google's common sense with him as well as Apple's.

nicedread303

Honorable
May 23, 2012
Also forcing technologies on users is the exact opposite of user experience design. They want you to use their cloud space for your files people. Thats what he means by "paleolithic era of computing" or at least thats what he was fed to regurgitate. Still humping the cloud dream... no one wants to pay to have their shit stored someplace if they already have a place to put their shit. That the reality. Building a larger stadium doesn't being more fans. This pisses me off to no end. If you really want to make it less confusing build the damn high quality SD card into the unit and manage the disk space via the OS u fucking lazy piece of sh....

InvalidError

Titan

Personally, I hate when software tries to outsmart me and try to guess where I expect things to be because then I cannot rely on stuff actually landing where I expect it to.

Instead of trying to be clever, I would much prefer having simple system configuration toggles for default save locations:
- Ringtones: Internal / SD
- Pictures: Internal / SD
- Music: Internal / SD
- etc.

Much simpler and much more reliable than software attempting to guess for me.

bbposada

Honorable
Jul 25, 2013
Actually it's not lame if Google also offers apps like Google Drive, where you can store your media files for free, and it doesn't slow down the speed of your device. However, if Google does start to charge for tehse items. Obviously it's just another scheme to make more money and charge every user a fee for device flaws such as no SD Micro option.

InvalidError

Titan

The problem with Google Drive is you need to have internet access to use it. Much of what people want to use SD cards for is about being offline or passing files around on the card they already sit on instead of waiting several minutes for large file transfers over WiFi or Bluetooth.

ubialan

Honorable
Oct 13, 2013
Was planning on upgrading and getting a new tablet - have an asus tf101 it has a micro sd slot - use it all the time - I WAS GOING TO BUY A NEXUS 10 - but now im not. guess ill stick with asus

Status
Not open for further replies.